• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What To Do With The Gas?

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No worries about the gas supply for your ICE. Natural gas, one of the most natural supplies on earth will replace Gas and Diesel long before the oil supplies run out. 1 gallon of natural gas will replace 1 gallon of gasoline with very little loss of horsepower. Clean burning and all you will have to do is add a different injector and a heavy duty tank. Natural gas will most likely be used in pickups and heavy duty trucks and equipment first and take the preasure off the oil market. already infrastructure is being installed in truck stops and new pickups and heavy duty trucks. Also you can install it now in your POV just like they did propane. Small cars will be EV's and mostly used for local commutes. Here are some prices per gallon at stations. Looks like it's running from .69 to 2.25 or so depending on your location.
http://www.cngprices.com/station_map.php CNG for the future!
bump

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LNG [liquid natural gas] has only 65% the BTU capacitance of gasoline per gallon, so not even close to a 1 for 1 swap energy-wise. Definitely cleaner burning though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

Put the link on there because I loath when people state 'facts' without showing where they got there info from. ;)
Wow. Following that link, using electricity instead of gas costs me the equivalent of paying $4.08 for a gallon of gas. That little hybrid better be REALLY efficient! Luckily, the Nissan Leaf, for example, gets 115MPGe which... $4.08/115 miles=$0.035 per mile at my electricity rates. Hmm... my truck - $2.19/12.5 miles = $0.17 per mile. Basically, it costs me 5 times as much to drive my truck as it would to drive a Leaf. It's worth it to me. Good thing I make pretty good money! :D:eek:

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LNG [liquid natural gas] has only 65% the BTU capacitance of gasoline per gallon, so not even close to a 1 for 1 swap energy-wise. Definitely cleaner burning though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

Put the link on there because I loath when people state 'facts' without showing where they got their info from. ;)
you're looking at liquid natural gas but cng is compressed natural gas. Big differance. you might want to check THIS out. One GGE of CNG and one GGE of electricity have exactly the same energy content as one gallon of gasoline. CNG sold at filling stations is priced in dollars per GGE.

Last edited:

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
you're looking at liquid natural gas but cng is compressed natural gas. Big differance. you might want to check THIS out. One GGE of CNG and one GGE of electricity have exactly the same energy content as one gallon of gasoline. CNG sold at filling stations is priced in dollars per GGE.

Hmmmm...It's early in the morning, but something in your statement isn't making sense to me [The fact that the coffee station doesn't open for another 30 mins. here at work isn't helping].

Okay...From the site I posted in an earlier post I bolded and underlined the part that's confusing me about your statement. If I'm reading the Wiki correctly, 1 gasoline gallon equivalent of CNG at 3,600 psi [under pressure is the only way that natural gas can exist as a liquid anyway] is 3.82 gallons. Somebody's math is messed up here...could be mine. I'll read through this again after cup #2 to see if it makes any more sense. :ranger:

Compressed natural gas[edit]
One GGE of natural gas is 126.67 cubic feet (3.587 m3) at standard conditions. This volume of natural gas has the same energy content as one US gallon of gasoline (based on lower heating values: 900 BTU/cu ft of natural gas and 115,000 BTU/gal of gasoline).[16]

One GGE of CNG pressurized at 2,400 psi (17 MPa) is 0.77 cubic foot (21.8 liters or 5.75 Gallons). This volume of CNG at 2,400 psi has the same energy content as one US gallon of gasoline (based on lower heating values: 148,144 BTU/cu ft of CNG and 115,000 BTU/gal of gasoline.[16] Using Boyle's law, the equivalent GGE at 3,600 psi (25 MPa) is 0.51 cubic foot (14.4 L or 3.82 actual US gal).

The National Conference of Weights & Measurements (NCWM) has developed a standard unit of measurement for compressed natural gas, defined in the NIST Handbook 44 Appendix D as follows: "1 Gasoline [US] gallon equivalent (GGE) means 2.567 kg (5.660 lb) of natural gas."[17]

When consumers refuel their CNG vehicles in the USA, the CNG is usually measured and sold in GGE units. This is fairly helpful as a comparison to gallons of gasoline.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Yeah Wayne, I'm going to have to stick to my "Nay" vote on CNG or LNG for now. I think I'd focus on how to improve on the gasoline ICE's poor energy conversion [25% - 30% I read somewhere]. Improvements in losses due to friction? Practical ways to convert waste heat to mechanical or electrical energy that could be stored somehow to assist the ICE? All that said I do appreciate the clean burn of natural gas...someday for sure!

"Mind changer" for me site, on top of the Wiki data I already posted:

http://www.ccjdigital.com/natural-gas-101-choosing-between-lng-and-cng/

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah Wayne, I'm going to have to stick to my "Nay" vote on CNG or LNG for now. I think I'd focus on how to improve on the gasoline ICE's poor energy conversion [25% - 30% I read somewhere]. Improvements in losses due to friction? Practical ways to convert waste heat to mechanical or electrical energy that could be stored somehow to assist the ICE? All that said I do appreciate the clean burn of natural gas...someday for sure!

"Mind changer" for me site, on top of the Wiki data I already posted:

http://www.ccjdigital.com/natural-gas-101-choosing-between-lng-and-cng/

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
CNG will be a loss of some horse power but MPG will be fairly close to normal as gas. I did notice on some of the comparisons that 0 to 60 would be quite a bit slower than gas when towing a 5000 lb boat. or other loads. The main idea was tha CNG will replace a lot of gas and diesel so would relieve the preasure on oil and will probably keep oil and gas at a reasonable price for a long time. From what I gather that diesel engines on CNG will do much better. I don't know if you checked out the link to all the stations selling CNG already but it is in an earlier post and there are more than i even supected already.
Any way to save our resources will be welcome. USA being the largest producer of oil now and probably for a long time in the future will also keep the supply at a resonable price. EV'S will be an important in helping conserve oil supplies also. As they say every bit helps. The saudi's oil supply is dwindling down but new reserves are still being found on earth. I figure someone will have that eureka moment and something else will propel us to our destinations. I just hope it will be an ELIO someday.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
CNG will be a loss of some horse power but MPG will be fairly close to normal as gas. I did notice on some of the comparisons that 0 to 60 would be quite a bit slower than gas when towing a 5000 lb boat. or other loads. The main idea was tha CNG will replace a lot of gas and diesel so would relieve the preasure on oil and will probably keep oil and gas at a reasonable price for a long time. From what I gather that diesel engines on CNG will do much better. I don't know if you checked out the link to all the stations selling CNG already but it is in an earlier post and there are more than i even supected already.
Any way to save our resources will be welcome. USA being the largest producer of oil now and probably for a long time in the future will also keep the supply at a resonable price. EV'S will be an important in helping conserve oil supplies also. As they say every bit helps. The saudi's oil supply is dwindling down but new reserves are still being found on earth. I figure someone will have that eureka moment and something else will propel us to our destinations. I just hope it will be an ELIO someday.
I'm hoping for Teleportation.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
startrekspock.jpg

Top Bottom