• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What To Do With The Gas?

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Please, is this an environmental blog ? If so, I have a few words...
"Sustainable degrowth is a downscaling of production and consumption that increases human well-being and enhances ecological conditions and equity on the planet. It calls for a future where societies live within their ecological means, with open, localized economies and resources more equally distributed through new forms of democratic institutions. Such societies will no longer have to “grow or die.” Material accumulation will no longer hold a prime position in the population’s cultural imaginary. The primacy of efficiency will be substituted by a focus on sufficiency, and innovation will no longer focus on technology for technology’s sake but will concentrate on new social and technical arrangements that will enable us to live convivially and frugally. Degrowth does not only challenge the centrality of GDP as an overarching policy objective but proposes a framework for transformation to a lower and sustainable level of production and consumption, a shrinking of the economic system to leave more space for human cooperation and ecosystems." -degrowth.org

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Look, when EVs become more mainstream, other solutions will present themselves. I remember people talking about how Netflix and Hulu couldn't become mainstream because the internet simply can't handle the bandwidth. Well, look at it handling the bandwidth.

There are already solar EV charging stations out there. And if you're about to say, "there are too many trees around my house to power a solar charging station," my answer is: each solar charger that someone ELSE uses takes that strain off the grid so that YOU can charge from your own grid power.

I don't think EVs will become mainstream in the next few years. It will take a while for that to happen. And for people who live out in the country and drive a pickup truck, they will likely be driving pickup trucks for decades to come. For now, nobody is forcing anyone to drive a hybrid or EV. People won't be forced. If they make the switch, they'll do it when it makes sense for them to switch.

If they could standardize battery packs, they could be swapped out at "gas stations" for a small fee. For smaller cars, where battery backs are oddly shaped to make the best use of the limited space, this simply may not work... but it might work for larger cars and trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You all Make good arguments but, All the experts agree we are at peak oil capacity world wide. The decline in production is the only true debate here. We will run out of easy oil then comes the hard stuff e.g. oil sands, etc which the Canadians are currently doing. Other possibilities will be explored but in the end it Will run out! Alternatives will need to be adopted, period! When we will run out? But it will happen. Oil is a finite resource, the planet cannot replenish it as fast as we are using it therefore it will end. Alternatives?? Electricity? Well lets agree that many, many generating plants are fossil fuels. So those will go away, then coal or nuke plants, but those currently need fossil fuels for at least some of their systems. Ouch, gotta figure out something there, but the coal plants are being attacked by environmental groups as well as nuke plants! Am alternative to the alternative has to be found??? If there's no fossil fuels? WOW! Big problem!! Even if we can come up with a solution to battery life, etc. We still need something to replace fossil fuels? Solar? Possibly, but the technology needs to be drastically improved! Wind? The same! So what then? ??
Ever seen the movie MadMax??? :D

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You all Make good arguments but, All the experts agree we are at peak oil capacity world wide. The decline in production is the only true debate here. We will run out of easy oil then comes the hard stuff e.g. oil sands, etc which the Canadians are currently doing. Other possibilities will be explored but in the end it Will run out! Alternatives will need to be adopted, period! When we will run out? But it will happen. Oil is a finite resource, the planet cannot replenish it as fast as we are using it therefore it will end. Alternatives?? Electricity? Well lets agree that many, many generating plants are fossil fuels. So those will go away, then coal or nuke plants, but those currently need fossil fuels for at least some of their systems. Ouch, gotta figure out something there, but the coal plants are being attacked by environmental groups as well as nuke plants! Am alternative to the alternative has to be found??? If there's no fossil fuels? WOW! Big problem!! Even if we can come up with a solution to battery life, etc. We still need something to replace fossil fuels? Solar? Possibly, but the technology needs to be drastically improved! Wind? The same! So what then? ??
....or the movie Soylent Green??? Scared the hell out of me!:D

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think we will be able to feed the current population that we are feeding now, let alone feed the increase in population. Aquifers are being drained and the water that remains is full of ag chemicals, top soil is washing away, weeds are becoming resistant to pesticides and land is being converted from crops to houses and infrastructure. The US population has more than doubled during my lifetime. I find it interesting that many farmers and ranchers understand that you can only put a certain max number of animals on a pasture or a certain max number of plants in a corn field but refuse to accept that there can be any limit to human population.

I don't know if I like the direction this discussion is going.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Again, with all due respect, similar things were said about the horse and carriage and the first automobiles.

I think the cost will come down over the next ten years, and keep a close eye on that range meter.

Who's selling new cars for $7300?
Let me know when that actually happens.

I'd like to buy one. :becky:
It was also believed that helicopters would replace autos in twenty years. But that was in 1950 and it didn't happen. The future will be based on affordable technology and where that goes, nobody knows.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Or maybe people will wake up and realize that climate change has at least as much or maybe more to do with "Milankovitch Cycles" than it has to do with carbon credits and politics.
Shhh. We wouldn't want formerly common sense to invade this place.

Top Bottom