• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What To Do With The Gas?

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let's take the word expert.....
EX = former or has been.
Spurt = A high pressure drip.
Now let's combine the words.....
EX Spurt or expert.......
We get a has been who leaks under pressure.
Or someone who needs to scare you to insure their revenue stream.
:first: Best post of the thread. Might as well lock the thread, it can only go downhill from here.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why?
Probably because there are some types of work that can't be done that close to where people live.
You can't weld a broken implement a block from your house if it's in a field 50 miles away.
You can't investigate a train wreck in Hoboken, NJ from Washington, DC.
(Personal note: I used to commute through Hoboken on my way to work in NY City.)
You cant run an assembly line in Shreveport, LA from Albuquerque, NM.
Some things you just have to be there for.
Some jobs aren't always in the same place every day.
People who live in crystalline edifices should not throw igneous objects.
Captain Obvious, is that you?
MOST people work in a stationary location and MOST people commute to work via something that requires an external energy source. I think overall fuel consumption on a world-wide basis will decline. Even though third-world countries will be driving more, others will be driving more efficiently. When "We" started driving around, we were getting pretty crappy mileage. They'll be starting at much higher efficiency if for no other reason, that's what kind of cars are available... even if they are used cars or low priced new ones.

As far as transportation/logistics is concerned, workers should live where they work and consumers should live where goods are made. Of course, we all choose to live far from work and far from food. But, that's our prerogative. If tomorrow, we all woke up to horses and buggies, how many of us could even get to and from work each day? That's hypothetical - no need to answer. I'm just saying that in a resource constrained society, we wouldn't set ourselves up for long commutes. If we ever were to colonize another planet, we'd damn sure live close to food/work. Same idea.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Captain Obvious, is that you?
MOST people work in a stationary location and MOST people commute to work via something that requires an external energy source. I think overall fuel consumption on a world-wide basis will decline. Even though third-world countries will be driving more, others will be driving more efficiently. When "We" started driving around, we were getting pretty crappy mileage. They'll be starting at much higher efficiency if for no other reason, that's what kind of cars are available... even if they are used cars or low priced new ones.

As far as transportation/logistics is concerned, workers should live where they work and consumers should live where goods are made. Of course, we all choose to live far from work and far from food. But, that's our prerogative. If tomorrow, we all woke up to horses and buggies, how many of us could even get to and from work each day? That's hypothetical - no need to answer. I'm just saying that in a resource constrained society, we wouldn't set ourselves up for long commutes. If we ever were to colonize another planet, we'd damn sure live close to food/work. Same idea.
Go West ?

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How many gas pumps are installed at your apartment? My wife's car (gas) has an effective range of about 300 miles and yet we don't have our own private gas pump. In 20 years, you should be able to get an EV that goes 200+ Miles between fill ups. You'll just have to get your fill up the same place everyone else does... your local filling (charging) station.
And let's make a point that I've been biting my tongue for two days, because I didn't want to get snarky. Specifically: how long does it take you to fill up your gas tank? I think if you time it the next time you get gas, you'll find it's around 10 minutes. This is assuming you're paying at the pump, you're just getting out of the car, putting fuel in the car, then turning off the pump, getting back in the car and driving away. If you have a big tank (20 gallons -- 76 liters) it might take about 15 minutes. Going in to pay and/or get food and drink adds to the time you spend there.

Given that we're having problems building batteries for cell phones that don't catch fire AND faster recharge speeds means more heat to be expelled, do you really think we're going to have EV batteries that we can fast-charge and be ready to go in 20 minutes or less?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And let's make a point that I've been biting my tongue for two days, because I didn't want to get snarky. Specifically: how long does it take you to fill up your gas tank? I think if you time it the next time you get gas, you'll find it's around 10 minutes. This is assuming you're paying at the pump, you're just getting out of the car, putting fuel in the car, then turning off the pump, getting back in the car and driving away. If you have a big tank (20 gallons -- 76 liters) it might take about 15 minutes. Going in to pay and/or get food and drink adds to the time you spend there.

Given that we're having problems building batteries for cell phones that don't catch fire AND faster recharge speeds means more heat to be expelled, do you really think we're going to have EV batteries that we can fast-charge and be ready to go in 20 minutes or less?
No. Probably not. At least not any time soon. Tesla can take 20 minutes for a 141 mile range but that is nowhere near the range my wife gets. The technology just isn't here yet. Well, it is but it isn't being used. We COULD just have swappable battery packs. You pull in, they measure remaining electricity, pop your battery out, pop in a new one, you pay for the amount of electricity you used plus maybe a "Pack service fee" that wouldn't be much but it would help maintain packs. This is not unlike how Blue Rhino propane tanks works. In fact, it's really close except you aren't credited for fuel left in the tank. In the battery swap methodology I mentioned above, there is no reason a pack can't be designed to fit multiple models that is very fast to swap out automatically at stations. Obviously, the infrastructure isn't there and probably never will be but we COULD do that with existing technology without making people spend any extra time "filling up". I'm not on board with electric yet. I suppose if I found a cheap enough car that I liked and had room for yet another "and" car, it would be decent for commuting. But, I'm not there yet.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Exactly! Energy storage is the key. Even though Elon Musk has been improved Lithium battery tech, it still has a lot of issues.
I like the idea of mechanical energy storage personally.
http://blippee.com/images/toys/prameta-wind-up-car-mechanism-9.JPG

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If a person was truly concerned about the environment and their own personal energy usage, wouldn't they live close enough to walk to work? Why would someone selfishly live too far to walk, drive an EV, and tell me I'm a bad guy? Glass houses...

Nowadays, people tend to be very polarized on a number of issues. You either have to love the environment or you want to appear as if you don't care at all about it. You have to drive an F350 or a Prius. You have to toe the line on your political party or go find another one.

You can believe in global climate change and drive a gasoline powered car. You can spend a day cleaning local waterways and have a long commute to work. You can own guns and be for sensible gun control. You can believe strongly in the 2nd amendment and want clean air. We (humans) are complex beings.

For a number of reasons, I did move closer to work. One of those reasons was to use less gas. I like using less gas because it is better for the environment and my wallet. I like living closer to work because I can spend more time with my family.

Because I believe in climate change and want to useless gas, you might think that I am against someone living out in the country driving a big honkin' pickup truck. This is not true. It makes sense for them, because of their location and lifestyle.

Don't just assume that you are being persecuted by environmentalists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom