• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What To Do With The Gas?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With groceries, it's not only the farm subsidies. That fuel price McBrew mentioned of $16/gal. would be passed along ON TOP of that. When you get a chance, look up some of the charts that show how many gallons of oil and how many gallons of water it takes to produce any given unit of any food product. I estimate that your average $200 day at the supermarket would easily cost you $2K or more.

So what your saying is, without farm subsidies, it would actually be profitable to operate a small local farm?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Quite the opposite.

My point being that little family farms don't get government subsidies anyways, so with higher grocery prices it would be more profitable for smaller scale farms. And then everybody would be doing it, and prices would come back down; only now, you have much more of the population "employed" growing food. And with the nation's food production more widely spread and closer to point of sale, it takes less fuel to truck and deliver goods from farm to market.

And then we all live in a perfect peaceful utopia! YAAAAAY!

Sigh. If only it were true.

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My point being that little family farms don't get government subsidies anyways, so with higher grocery prices it would be more profitable for smaller scale farms. And then everybody would be doing it, and prices would come back down; only now, you have much more of the population "employed" growing food. And with the nation's food production more widely spread and closer to point of sale, it takes less fuel to truck and deliver goods from farm to market.

And then we all live in a perfect peaceful utopia! YAAAAAY!

Sigh. If only it were true.
Well maybe this little tibbit will open everyones eyes about farm subsidies. Just go to google and enter farm subsidies and your zip code. When you see your area multiply that with all the usa zip codes. Also you will see the names of your neighbors that are getting the benefits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom