• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Was Your First Car?

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First daily driver was a 1972 VW Type 3 Fastback 4-speed manual. I got my license to drive alone to school & back @ 15 years old under an Oregon special exemption for kids who did not have access to the bus system due to living in rural areas. Fun thing about that car, I would open the front hood to show friends the engine, but then say "oops, that's right, it's in the back", only to open the trunk lid to reveal another empty trunk space. It freaked kids out! (These had the VW "pancake" flat 4 air cooled engines under a lid in the rear trunk).
Unfortunately, I totaled that car @ 16 hitting an icy patch in the shade on a corner that the sun had not yet melted. Did about 300 degrees of spin before hitting a guard rail @ 50+ mph. That was a lesson learned & the only serious accident to date (fingers crossed). (Photo not my car - pulled online)
image.jpeg

Jelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1959Fiat600.jpg

1959 Fiat 600. Terrible Green color...so spray painted the whole thing Blue. Paid the outrageous sum of $50.00 bucks (plus chores) for it in 1969. My neighbor bought it to come home to NC from California so he didn't have to fly (1959). The car had 3500 miles on it. It sat in his garage for 10 years.

this is only a web pic: I do miss her though, that car was a lot of fun back in the day!

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lucas Electrics are good; they're just put together poorly.

Problem with the Lucas electrical system was mostly the voltage regulator.
Mine used to hang once in a while.
Had to give it a good hard rap whit a heavy screw driver.
Some times shut it down and clean the points.
Required a good nose for incipient rubber insulation burn.

Top Bottom