• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Was Your First Car?

TIWILL

Reaction score
First car was a '37 Ford Coupe. Purchased in 1957 and it had 37,000 miles. Paid $90 for it (cash). Sold it a year later for $100. (cash). I had to replace the transmission and the '37 Ford truck transmission fit perfectly.
Wish I had that car today.

dkelley

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I started paying for a Ford F100 when I was 14, sister got married and her husband wanted the pickup. So stepfather traded him for a '63 Fairlane which was supposed to be mine when I turned 16. Instead he used it for collateral on a loan that he never repaid. The first vehicle that was truly mine was a '48 Chevy pickup(Wish I still had it, only paid $500.00 for it.)

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I inherited a 63 Chevy which I shared with my sister, but my first purchase was a 70 Buick LeSaber with a 455 4 barrel in 75 which allowed me to watch my gas gauge move if I floored it. I traded it in on an X body 80 Buick Skylark in early 79, my first NEW car.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My folks bought a brand new '56 chevy 210 2 door sedan when I was two years old, by the time I was 15 the car was tired and parked along an irrigation ditch with 162,000 miles on it, oil bath air cleaner and gravel roads. Neighbor kid with a new drivers license comes over and asks my dad if he'd sell the car, dad says he'd take $100 for it, kid leaves and I tell my dad 'don't sell it, I've always loved that car and I'm going to need a car next year when I get my drivers license.' It was about this time of year and my dad said 'you have until fall to get it running and you can have it'. I had it running that weekend! I poured a little gas down the carb and jumped it and she lit! It was 17 miles from the farm to the high school and 34 miles round trip and she'd burn a quart of oil doing it. Fortunately I still have the old girl.' I've changed the drivetrain several times (I still have the original) the last time I restored it I had all the chrome redone, bumpers, grill, headlight rings, hood ornament, inside window mouldings and polished all the stainless side trim, I'm unwrapping all the pretty jewelry and my dad comes over and asks 'what did that cost you kid?' (I was in my '50's) I told him $2,500 (good deal) he says geez, I only paid $2,100 for it brand new. The car saw me through high school, took me all through college, I dated my wife in it and it is in my will to go to my daughter when I'm done with it. When my wife and I take it out on weekends I feel like that 15 year old kid again!

Do you have any pictures of your 56?

Richad

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
My first car was a 1965 Renault Dauphine with push button automatic transmission. Actually it had a standard transmission with electronic clutch. I guess it was pretty advanced for those times. Speedometer went to 65 mph. I pushed it to 60 and blew the engine. I got towed to Renault where they broke the bad news to me. They said son you blew your engine and it will cost me $110.to rebuild. My response was oh no what am I going to do now.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My first car was a 1965 Renault Dauphine with push button automatic transmission. Actually it had a standard transmission with electronic clutch. I guess it was pretty advanced for those times. Speedometer went to 65 mph. I pushed it to 60 and blew the engine. I got towed to Renault where they broke the bad news to me. They said son you blew your engine and it will cost me $110.to rebuild. My response was oh no what am I going to do now.
Didn't the Dauphine have one bolt in the center of each the wheel?

Top Bottom