• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Will Be The Primary Use For Your Elio?

NN4S

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I generally get 35-38 MPG and am still looking forward to cutting my fuel usage in half! I can't imagine suffering along at 16MPG...

I built my Jeep pre-Katrina and it is geared for $1.50 or less fuel, so it generally sits in the yard except for when I have to use it to trailer something home or such. It is not uncommon for it to get refilled once a year at the most since it never gets driven. It is a 2001 model (one of the very last Cherokees to roll off the line) and has less than 80,000 miles on it because of this! The majority of those miles were put on it in the first four years of it's life.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can't resist. Three primary uses for my Elio (in my dreams at least)

_DSC3777 elio fantasy 1.jpg _DSC3777 Elio fantasy 2.jpg _DSC3777 elio fantasy 3.jpg

BriansElio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be using mine for commuting back and forth to work - about 140 miles a day. I was pondering a Chevy Cruze diesel. Once the Chevy salesman started recommending something from Honda or Nissan I figured I might as well move on to something else. Yeah, that actually happened, hard to make stuff like that up. If needed, I've decided a VW Passat might be a future purchase. I don't see why the Elio wouldn't work out. I'll have my current car and diesel pickup for other tasks.

TKVancil

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will be my daily driver to work ( one gallon should do it for a whole week PEOPLE !!! )
Also, I like to hang glide and the primary flying filed is about 150 mile round trip for me ( it's typically just me and my flight gear that can fit in the back, the glider is stored at the club house ).
But I could also see myself driving her just like a motor cycle, aimlessly around exploring new frontiers :cool:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll be using mine for commuting back and forth to work - about 140 miles a day. I was pondering a Chevy Cruze diesel. Once the Chevy salesman started recommending something from Honda or Nissan I figured I might as well move on to something else. Yeah, that actually happened, hard to make stuff like that up. If needed, I've decided a VW Passat might be a future purchase. I don't see why the Elio wouldn't work out. I'll have my current car and diesel pickup for other tasks.
Don't get a Passat! Maintenance costs a fortune, and VW doesn't like owning up to their warranty responsibilities .... avoid!

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just made my reservation yesterday. I have been wondering what other people plan on using their Elio for and why they bought it. It's such a new concept in America that it's fascinating to ponder how people will put it to use. So I'll start with who I am and how we will use it.

I'm the Owner of Allied Building Contractors in Roxbury VT. We are a Design/Build General Contracting Company. We have a keen focus on energy efficient building techniques and building science - those concepts are incorporated, in some way, into every new construction and renovation/remodel we do. I have often thought about the juxtaposition of the focus of how we build buildings with me driving around a full size pickup that gets 16 MPG. When I became aware of the Elio it was the perfect solution. 75% of the time I am alone in my truck (as most contractors are) carrying nothing but some files, a laptop, and perhaps a few small tools in the back seat. I put on almost 20k miles per year and trucks are not inexpensive to chew through every 3-5 years. Roughly calculating my travel to and from job sites, meetings with clients, and other associated travel I figure the Elio will pay for itself in 2 years. It will certainly begin some visibility to our business in a way that is consistent with our beliefs about building structures. It will also increase the longevity of my truck which will be relegated to trips only when needed for it's hauling or towing capacity - which reduces the need for more trucks to be bought in the future (conservation). If the Elio proves to be functional and effective, it will be a pretty easy choice to offer to employees as a fleet company vehicle. Most carpenters aren't living the high life and a benefit like a company car that costs them very little to operate will be an excellent use of the vehicle.

Now what's your story?
Welcome to the forum and it sounds like the Elio is a great solution for your business. We can all hope other business owners see the value in the Elio as well. Enjoy the Elio experience and this historic journey.

Top Bottom