• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheels & Tires

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
it may well be my error but when I checked Pep Boys' website, they do not show having any 135 (70-75)R15's in stock .... neither does Tire Rack .... if Elio goes with tires this size, it appears replacements may not be too easy to find .... if Elio proves to be the only vehicle using them, the price will certainly go up

Jim

Not an error at all. Like I said these sizes are for donut spares and 135R15 (135/80-R15) are used in for classic cars so they are specialty items.

The way I see it we have to hope that thanks to the large production numbers of 60K+ in the first year alone that replacement will be made available by several industry players therefore making the tires relatively affordable. The even better option is to simply use an approximate equivalent tire which is more widely available. For 135/7X-R15 tires the widely available equivalent, which is virtually identical in size, is 145/65-R15 which Continental also makes and you can buy at Tirerack right now for about $75 and it is in stock at my local Pep Boys for $80. :)

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For 135/7X-R15 tires the widely available equivalent, which is virtually identical in size, is 145/65-R15 which Continental also makes and you can buy at Tirerack right now for about $75 and it is in stock at my local Pep Boys for $80. :)

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/

wow .... I just learned something, info appreciated .... with that being the case, no problem

Jim

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not to mention with the light weight of the vehicle your tire wear will be far less than on a standard vehicle.

Also to ad, the rear tire is not a driven tire,
it may well be my error but when I checked Pep Boys' website, they do not show having any 135 (70-75)R15's in stock .... neither does Tire Rack .... if Elio goes with tires this size, it appears replacements may not be too easy to find .... if Elio proves to be the only vehicle using them, the price will certainly go up

Jim
I just wrote this reply in another area, yet since it fits these tire posts I will ad it here also:
Within past tour write ups I recall just recently reading about the Elio tires are going to be the size of spare donut style tires used on some cars now but there was going to be changes. Since those donut spare tires are used for limited driving mile. They already have a die or mold for them now, except for the Elio will be thicker and more tread (longer driving mileage) so a mock up mold or die would not be a difficult to make and for the large quantily of production tires Cooper tires was going to do that. Then I also read by the 2015 release Cooper tire would be releasing or using there newest low rolling resistance tire compounds for the Elio. Now, I had spent time looking for where I found and read that, but unable to support that in type at this moment so I can only reference. Should someone be able to locate it, please post.
Thank you,
Terrence:) The tire situation in my opinion was looking very good from what I had read.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this post should be in the tires thread or the towing with an Elio thread .... if it needs to be moved, please do so .... the main times that I would be concerned about not having a spare would be when traveling away from home .... at such times, having more storage area than that provide in the OEM trunk would be handy .... having small trailer could provide that space and if the trailer was built using the same tires and rims found on an Elio, its highly likely a spare could be mounted on the trailer .... :)

Jim

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this post should be in the tires thread or the towing with an Elio thread .... if it needs to be moved, please do so .... the main times that I would be concerned about not having a spare would be when traveling away from home .... at such times, having more storage area than that provide in the OEM trunk would be handy .... having small trailer could provide that space and if the trailer was built using the same tires and rims found on an Elio, its highly likely a spare could be mounted on the trailer .... :)

Jim
u could run, run flat tires too. they cost more up front but worth it on those dark lonely back roads or bad neighborhoods.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My BMW 330D has run flat tyres, as do those on the 320D and the 120D belonging to my two youngest sons. We all agree that we don't like them due to the hard ride they give. Obviously, no spare wheel is supplied these days and I wish it was. I'd actually prefer more compliant tyres and a spare wheel.

But the rear wheel of an Elio is going to be tricky to service on the open road due to it being enclosed so a run flat tyre on that wheel would make good sense.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My BMW 330D has run flat tyres, as do those on the 320D and the 120D belonging to my two youngest sons. We all agree that we don't like them due to the hard ride they give.

having never used any run flat tires, that is great info .... with my back. a harsh ride is not a good thing .... info appreciated

Jim

Top Bottom