• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheels & Tires

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
An easier way to lift the Elio would be for the factory to make a steel scissor jack part of the rear frame of the vehicle, or just bolt one onto a welded plate underneath. So you're already carrying it in position to lift the vehicle. A bit like a stabiliser leg on the corner of a single axle caravan. Then if you need to jack up the vehicle, you just fit the cranking handle and wind it up.

Such as this:
http://www.blackcountrycaravans.co....itional/39-swift-challenger-corner-steady.jpg

Stugotz

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm wondering if an air bag style lift might not be a good solution... Use engine exhaust to inflate... Unfortunately, the only ones I can find are for much heavier and bigger cars... This one is for Jeeps... It's rated for 3 tons which is obviously overkill for the Elio... Still you get the idea... Since it collapses it should be easy to find a space somewhere in the car to store it... You'll still need lug wrench and tools to remove protective covers... and a plug kit to make temporary repairs to the tire...

71IOJqYzKVL._SL1500_.jpg
I still have an aluminum jack out of my 71 Datsun 240z, it is VERY light and is only 18 inches long, It could probably fit in it the engine compartment somewhere.

PHTO0014.jpg

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Instead of a Jack, would a simple step lever be easy enough? Picture a flat "L" that when stepped on, would lever the vehicle up an inch or so. If done right, a 4-1 leverage advantage should be easy enough to achieve. Most of us weigh more than 100# and could press it down with our own weight and lift 400#... 150# person could lift 600#... even if the Elio ends up at 1,500#, that would be about 500# per wheel as long as Elio keeps to their planned weight distribution. Just a thought. If done right, once it was up, as long as the lever was to the rear, pulling the car slightly forward would get it back down. Just a thought.
excellent idea but still a storage issue! also, on uneven of hilly terrain, it could flip back out and drop the vehicle. don't know if enough folks are familiar with that method of raising an axle to safely use it. not hard to learn with a little practice but human nature being what it is, most won't use it til they have no choice. then someone will get hurt and want to blame elio for knocking their teeth out.

Stugotz

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
excellent idea but still a storage issue! also, on uneven of hilly terrain, it could flip back out and drop the vehicle. don't know if enough folks are familiar with that method of raising an axle to safely use it. not hard to learn with a little practice but human nature being what it is, most won't use it til they have no choice. then someone will get hurt and want to blame elio for knocking their teeth out.

A dedicated jack point (hole) on each a-arm and the swing arm would reduce risk of injury if the jack has a pin to fit the hole.

natural selection
noun
  1. the process whereby organisms better adapted to their environment tend to survive and produce more offspring. The theory of its action was first fully expounded by Charles Darwin and is now believed to be the main process that brings about evolution.
So be it!

[Broken External Image]

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
An easier way to lift the Elio would be for the factory to make a steel scissor jack part of the rear frame of the vehicle, or just bolt one onto a welded plate underneath. So you're already carrying it in position to lift the vehicle. A bit like a stabiliser leg on the corner of a single axle caravan. Then if you need to jack up the vehicle, you just fit the cranking handle and wind it up.

Such as this:
http://www.blackcountrycaravans.co.uk/images/products/additional/39-swift-challenger-corner-steady.jpg

I like it Wheaters! I'd probably go with something like I've got on my Coleman Pop-up. It'll lift the camper right off the ground with ease using a little 16" steel rod for a lever. 1000 lb. capacity per jack. Mount one in each corner for oil changes and such. Light weight and they lock in the up and down positions. About $25 a pair.
swingdown jack.jpg

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I like it Wheaters! I'd probably go with something like I've got on my Coleman Pop-up. It'll lift the camper right off the ground with ease using a little 16" steel rod for a lever. 1000 lb. capacity per jack. Mount one in each corner for oil changes and such. Light weight and they lock in the up and down positions. About $25 a pair.
View attachment 2534

I have installed theses on several of my trailers. They provide a very simple yet very effective solution.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
some folks have mentioned the small amount of room around the rear tire compartment. haven't seen it but there might be enough space to store a small scissor jack. the handle could be the lug wrench, to keep the parts count to a min. most jacks are heavy for their size so maybe one built of aluminum? another area could be under the hood somewhere. again, not having seen the space, don't know if it would hold a jack.

Volkswagen jacks weigh about 1 pound and are compact, one-legged units, but do require a "sill" to hold onto. BMW jacks are also 1 pound aluminum units and are the best I've ever used, but require a hole in the frame for it to plug into.

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wait, did we ever figure of the jack and/or spare tire are even options?

(No I'm not going to scan through 20 pages... so there!! :p )
well, after everyones input so far, i like the acme thread rod with a base and an engagement tang for the receptical at the jack points on the vehicle. it will still need to be stowed but since it is a straight device, maybe then a space can be found.

Top Bottom