• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheels

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe Paul did mention that up to 90% of the Parts would be made is USA.

Wheels would be a very small part of the overall cost of the Elio I would think
Are they basing the 90% on line item count, cost, or weight? Depending on how they calculate that percentage could change the value of the wheels write a bit I'd think.

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are they basing the 90% on line item count, cost, or weight? Depending on how they calculate that percentage could change the value of the wheels write a bit I'd think.
I don't believe the 90% North American content has been specifically spelled out.

More information can be found here:

https://www.eliomotors.com/

Scroll down the main page then check out the various Menu Headings for more information.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
If the information about the wheels had not been discovered, how many people would have pulled a tire off, or done a close inspection on the wheels after they took delivery to see if it was a US built wheel? Same goes for any other part on the Elio; how many are going to go over it with a magnifying glass to check and make sure they know where every part was made?

nickskeys

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully the bolt spacing will be the same (standard) for many after market wheels. My biggest worry is how well these Calcutta wheels will take the huge pot holes around here. Some are the size of bushel baskets.

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the information about the wheels had not been discovered, how many people would have pulled a tire off, or done a close inspection on the wheels after they took delivery to see if it was a US built wheel? Same goes for any other part on the Elio; how many are going to go over it with a magnifying glass to check and make sure they know where every part was made?
Coss,
It's called Hello - TRANSPARENCY! Now, I might just have to check every single part's origin. A main reason I have been drawn to Elio are their Tenants - and the 90% NAC is one that they shouldn't slide on. JMHO

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That in itself poses a problem. Is the engine one part or 100? (I have no clue how many different parts make up the engine.)

If a Canadian company sells to Elio, but manufactures their parts in Africa or Asia, is it North American or not? I assume that the 90% will be determined by the method which makes the Elio look best.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Folks need to keep things in perspective and not get bent out of shape over the wheels' origin, exactly how will "90% North American content" be measured, etc. Because of the enormity of what Elio Motors is trying to achieve and the extreme challenges it's facing on a shoestring budget, there's a good possibility they'll miss one or more of their targets, even if only by a small margin. With that said, are any of you really going to say no to the Elio if it gets 75 mpg, costs $7200, or is made up of 75% North American content? If so, you should build a vehicle yourself since there's probably not a single manufacturer who can meet your exacting and somewhat misplaced standards.

Keeping the big picture in mind, I'm willing to cut Paul lots of latitude in achieving any of the four must-haves; he just needs to get in the ballpark on those self-imposed goals. I'm not going to sweat his missing any of them by some degree since he seems to be making superhuman efforts in good faith to try to achieve them.

Spyche Chaos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
[QUOTE

From that, it looks like "Steel Strips Wheels" will be supplying Elio wheels... 3M of them over 5 years to be more precise.

Them ain't American! Why isn't there an American supplier with the capacity/desire to build 3 Million wheels?[/QUOTE]

There are plenty. Most of them won't take a 55 million dollar order from folks with 2 million in the bank and no income.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
[QUOTE

From that, it looks like "Steel Strips Wheels" will be supplying Elio wheels... 3M of them over 5 years to be more precise.

Them ain't American! Why isn't there an American supplier with the capacity/desire to build 3 Million wheels?

There are plenty. Most of them won't take a 55 million dollar order from folks with 2 million in the bank and no income.[/QUOTE]
Poppycock. They just want too much for too little. They'd be glad to go out on a limb if it were $80/wheel instead of $18 and change.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does any body remember the video interview with Paul when he described the procedure em uses when deciding where to purchase parts.

Top Bottom