• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Did 84 Mpg Come From?

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi Y'all,
A few thoughts. I looked into the Pogue 100 mpg carb years ago, and It appeared bogus. Would be nice if there was such a thing!
A 1955 VW beetle had a 34 HP motor, got 36mpg, and 0-60 in 27.5 seconds.
Anyone know the weight of the Elio?
What fuel mileage are you cycle guys getting on your cycles? What size motors?
I would love to see a diesel motor option, that would raise mpg dramatically. Yes it would cost more!
I hope they can get financing to get this baby off the ground.
I would love a high mileage , affordable buggy.
I enjoy the wisdom y'all share here.!
BUGG
Welcome to the forum where you can quickly find the answers to all your questions by using the search function. The Elio weighs about 1200 pounds, the diesel motor option has been discussed at great length but does not fit the cost curve. There is a lot to learn about the Elio and this is the place. Enjoy the journey and the experience.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
guys/gals

$6800.

??

I collect motorcycles (and dogs)

here on the Island my everyday bike is a Yamaha TW200

Yamaha has made this bike since 1987

a NEW TW200 is around $5200.

$5200.

200 cc

simple bike

one cylinder

$6800. is just plain IMPOSSIBLE !

maybe once the factory is ramped up

five years from now

but to start out ?

they will be losing $10,000. on every motorcycle made

let's start to be honest, THIS IS A MOTORCYCLE !

NOT A CAR

A MOTORCYCLE !!!!!!!

84 MPG ? WHY ?

DO WE ALL GET "AT A BOYS" IF WE HIT 84 MPG ?

DOES ANYONE

BE HONEST

WHO REALLY CARES ABOUT 84 MPG ????????????

I DO NOT CARE LESS ! IF IT GETS 10 MPG , IS FUN TO DRIVE, GOOD A/C …

10 MPG IS OK WITH ME ! I PAY $5.00 A GALLON FOR GAS !

10 MPG IS OK WITH ME ! I AM NOT A TERRORIST !

JUST BEING HONEST !

I AM RETIRED

I LIVE ON AN ISLAND 13 MILES LONG

I COULD NOT CARE LESS ABOUT THE MILEAGE ! SORRY …..

AND $6800. ???

I WOULD BE MUCH HAPPIER TO PAY $10,000.

NICE EASY NUMBER

GIVE ME MY YELLOW !!

GIVE ME LED'S

GIVE ME BLUETOOTH

GIVE ME COOL LOW PROFILE WHEELS AND TIRES !

SORRY ..

JUST BEING HONEST
WHEN IN DOUBT.....DON'T BUY!!! SORRY...JUST BEING HONEST!

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I f I'm a good boy I can get 51 mpg out of my 08 Suzuki C50 805cc but average about 46 mpg but cant buy a 600 cc name brand motorcycle to get 70 mpg for under 7k,
I really want the Elio to be a success, for 84 mpg i wouldn't mind the cab to be a zipper plastic like on jeeps
Cheers
M7977, welcome to the forum where you can find the latest information on the Elio. We try to keep it informative and entertaining and welcome your comments and opinions.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The longer it takes to start production is more time for the Elio's gas mileage to become irrelevant, as other entries begin to edge up towards the same level. This 'Twingo' just introduced has this to say - "... Both engines manage over 70mpg on the extra urban cycle and an excellent 50.4mpg for the small one on the urban cycle or 57.6 mpg for the bigger engine..." and that's for a car with two doors, 4 wheels , and a 'trunk' area. By the time the Elio rolls out, 84 mpg will not be unheard of (as others have pointed out, it already is out there). And this is not a hybrid either.
In a year or two, gas mileage may not be a key reason to purchase an Elio, and cargo space is already a bit tight. Other factors (like price point) may come into play as the chief purchasing reason, unless some of these competitors start to offer a base model at a rock bottom price, then the Elio just becomes a unique looking form of transportation. In this business, time to market becomes critical, you need to get there "the fastest with the mostest".
At 11,000 pounds sterling, it is more than the Elio, but maybe within range of a fully equipped Elio.

twingo_12.jpg

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The longer it takes to start production is more time for the Elio's gas mileage to become irrelevant, as other entries begin to edge up towards the same level. This 'Twingo' just introduced has this to say - "... Both engines manage over 70mpg on the extra urban cycle and an excellent 50.4mpg for the small one on the urban cycle or 57.6 mpg for the bigger engine..." and that's for a car with two doors, 4 wheels , and a 'trunk' area. By the time the Elio rolls out, 84 mpg will not be unheard of (as others have pointed out, it already is out there). And this is not a hybrid either.
In a year or two, gas mileage may not be a key reason to purchase an Elio, and cargo space is already a bit tight. Other factors (like price point) may come into play as the chief purchasing reason, unless some of these competitors start to offer a base model at a rock bottom price, then the Elio just becomes a unique looking form of transportation. In this business, time to market becomes critical, you need to get there "the fastest with the mostest".
At 11,000 pounds sterling, it is more than the Elio, but maybe within range of a fully equipped Elio.

View attachment 2887
I like the car but not the comparison. Not even close! It's $17,890. not including import taxes, del.taxes, etc. And it's not USA made! What are you thinking? It's the combination of lower price and the 84 mpg. that's making Elio unique. You said there's other cars out there that can do 84 mpg. - please tell us which one...and if you find one....at what price? Also, if I can afford to shell out $17,890 or it could be $20,000+ after all the taxes and other options are applied, what made you think I'll buy that??? For that price I'd rather buy a more comfortable and bigger car if I don't care where it's made or the gallons of gasoline I'll be saving with the Elio. ;)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 2887
I like the car but not the comparison. Not even close! It's $17,890. not including import taxes, del.taxes, etc. And it's not USA made! What are you thinking? It's the combination of lower price and the 84 mpg. that's making Elio unique. You said there's other cars out there that can do 84 mpg. - please tell us which one...and if you find one....at what price? Also, if I can afford to shell out $17,890 or it could be $20,000+ after all the taxes and other options are applied, what made you think I'll buy that??? For that price I'd rather buy a more comfortable and bigger car if I don't care where it's made or the gallons of gasoline I'll be saving with the Elio. ;)

Also don't forget that this mileage is in UK imperial gallons and tested while running the European cycle which tends to overestimate mileage as compared to the US EPA tests. 70 MPG Imperial is 58 MPG US and 50.4 Imperial is 42 US MPG. Adjusted about 20% for US EPA numbers we can estimate about 35 city and 50 highway so the while these are good numbers they are really not all that close to the Elio and the vehicle cost is more than 2x as much also.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I only am pointing out the obvious, (plus I am having a bad day from the start), that is, the longer the Elio takes to come to market, the less relevant the 84 mpg becomes. If the Elio cannot get off the ground soon, then others will.
The prize goes to those who finish first, not the guys who had the idea first.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I only am pointing out the obvious, (plus I am having a bad day from the start), that is, the longer the Elio takes to come to market, the less relevant the 84 mpg becomes. If the Elio cannot get off the ground soon, then others will.
The prize goes to those who finish first, not the guys who had the idea first.
Us as customers welcome the challenge from other car manufacturers for obvious reason...more choices! But first, they have to equal the standards set by ELIO Motors which is 84 mpg, $6,800.00, 5 star ratings, etc. Tell you what, if any competitor comes up w/ a similar flatform and can bring it to the market before Elio's 3rd quarter 2015, then I'll buy it...and the Elio. What's obvious here is the competitors are watching the Elio's progress so closely but won't make any move until they know it's worth their time and money to make their own version. If EM succeeds then watch the competitors follow suit. ;)

Top Bottom