• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Did 84 Mpg Come From?

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I only am pointing out the obvious, (plus I am having a bad day from the start), that is, the longer the Elio takes to come to market, the less relevant the 84 mpg becomes. If the Elio cannot get off the ground soon, then others will.
The prize goes to those who finish first, not the guys who had the idea first.
I will be an old man by the time these others meet the same standards as set for the Elio......they might make cheep knock offs but I will be driving an original.

nickskeys

Elio Addict
Reaction score
yeah it bugs me that Paul Elio is stuck on 84mpg. If i knew why it might help me appreciate that number. if it is as assininie as three times the average car...well why three? get my drift?
He already screwed with the cool factor by taking the Prowler wheel covers off, or at least that is the reason i am getting for the modification... he also is stuck on $6800. Engineers? well they have their flaws too. Why create a number whether theoretical or not, and then believe you can match that number in the real world? And the price tag number is even more questionable...is it some Chinese Magic Price Point for Motor powered Rickshaws? Come on man. Artificially fabricated numbers? At the expense of what? all the other performance variables and style?
Personally I'd pay more money to have a 70/70/7000 that looked cool..yeah 70 hp 70mpg $7000. And it'd be easier to remember and market..."Lucky "7's"... and it could be called "The 7" and the "7" badge could be easily worked into the fuselage on one side.
Uh, what?

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Us as customers welcome the challenge from other car manufacturers for obvious reason...more choices! But first, they have to equal the standards set by ELIO Motors which is 84 mpg, $6,800.00, 5 star ratings, etc. Tell you what, if any competitor comes up w/ a similar flatform and can bring it to the market before Elio's 3rd quarter 2015, then I'll buy it...and the Elio. What's obvious here is the competitors are watching the Elio's progress so closely but won't make any move until they know it's worth their time and money to make their own version. If EM succeeds then watch the competitors follow suit. ;)
If that does happen and Ford, Chevy, Honda etc... etc... decide to make their own version I would still stick with Elio because that would just prove, by virtue of having NO new technology in the Elio, that the big corporations could have had this concept on the road YEARS if not DECADES ago. WHY has it taken so long? How many gazillion barrels of oil could this hyper-efficient concept have saved in the time they spent selling us 3000 lb. boxes for 20K plus and acting like 30mpg is GREAT mileage, and anything better has to cost 50K? Enough hyper-efficients on the road might have changed the course of world events by effecting the demand for oil worldwide. Why should any late-comers get a dime of the market share when they've been holding out on us for ages in order to maximize access to our pockets.

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
yeah it bugs me that Paul Elio is stuck on 84mpg. If i knew why it might help me appreciate that number. if it is as assininie as three times the average car...well why three? get my drift?
He already screwed with the cool factor by taking the Prowler wheel covers off, or at least that is the reason i am getting for the modification... he also is stuck on $6800. Engineers? well they have their flaws too. Why create a number whether theoretical or not, and then believe you can match that number in the real world? And the price tag number is even more questionable...is it some Chinese Magic Price Point for Motor powered Rickshaws? Come on man. Artificially fabricated numbers? At the expense of what? all the other performance variables and style?
Personally I'd pay more money to have a 70/70/7000 that looked cool..yeah 70 hp 70mpg $7000. And it'd be easier to remember and market..."Lucky "7's"... and it could be called "The 7" and the "7" badge could be easily worked into the fuselage on one side.

Just proves that Paul is one to set goals and stick to it instead of when he runs into difficulties moving the goal.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As to the original question, I suspect that if you calculate what 3 liters per 100 kilometers, ( which is how many countries measure fuel efficiency since they use neither miles nor gallons), you should find it's pretty close to 84 mpg. And while 84 is an odd number, 3liters per 100km is a nice round number to shoot for. Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I couldn't find any reference to it.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Carzes mentioned the "metric" way of stating mileage which got me thinking about my "Visual Basic Phase" from years ago.
During that phase I wrote several short conversion programs--one of which I called "Mileage.exe". It is for Windows.
As long as you can run Visual Basic programs you should be able to download this program and play around with it. Put in a few numbers and press Calculate.
I had to zip it because .exe files cannot be uploaded. There is only the one file and it alters nothing on your computer.

Attachments

• Mileage.zip
    18.9 KB · Views: 249

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Apparently I undersold my mileage.exe utility program--only 4 people have looked at it. It does more than just convert.

Here is a screen shot of what it calculates...
Screenshot 2014-10-16 23.36.04.png

Guess what people always ask!

Top Bottom