• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Did 84 Mpg Come From?

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey, Jeff, as far as math and intelligence I'll give you no contention . But long ago I also made peace with being called a nerd . As for being normal, you'd do well to leave that for others to discern, possibly.
For me personally one of my greatest epiphanies was the discovery that everyone is crazy but me. I've made nothing but progress from there. There is a lot of peace of mind in that discovery too when you think about it. It has also led to me becoming and amateur psychiatrist LMAO. You see I've discovered it is primarily the experts that cause most of the problems so I have learned to stay as an amateur in all my pursuits. I tell all my clients that if they think they need to see a Psychiatrist they had better get their heads examined.

PS in "Catch 22" The guy was declared normal by his doctor and fit for duty because he thought he was crazy. The doctor instructed him that the the insane have no idea they are crazy. LMAO.

I too, am a self proclaimed amatuer "psychologist" as I don't write prescriptions. My stepbrother is diagnosed with mental health issues. The things that he said that doctors had "said and done" left me in disbelief. Then after his wife died, I spent 6 years helping him. I was appalled at what I saw and heard from the docs. Politics and $$ seemed to be at the core of their decisions, NOT patient welfare. He is much better off staying out of their hands!

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just filled the 22gal tank on my V6 AWD GMC Safari Cargo for $83. It gets 14mpg city, 18 mpg highway, and 15mpg combined. So it's gonna cost me $83 to go 308 miles in the thing. I got 76 mpg city on my Yammi 250 Virago this last tank by pulling the clutch in and coasting when appropriate. I put 2 gallons in when the trip O read 152. It's going to cost me $15 to go 308 miles.

viragonp007.jpg

Those that have never experienced this kind of mileage from a vehicle are in for a whole new unique experience. There's no other feeling like it.

Last edited:

StinkyCheeze

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Mods, please feel free to delete or move my thread as you please...

But.
I did a search and found nothing. Where and how did Elio come up with a motor that runs on regular gas and gets this stated mpg?! Quite frankly it amazes me really. Yes the aerodynamics and weight of the design do play a huge role... but all in all I'm still amazed at the results. This design is a game changer for sure and I am glad to have dived all in on the idea/concept. This will change everything. It's the model t for everyone a century later... I am a excited none the less... :)

I did read a thread about comparing it to the dead cylinder of the geo metro. I have owned a few already... been there done that...
got the t-shirt a couple of times already. But still 84 mpg compared to the geo is quite the stretch...

Moderator Comment: Merged into existing 84 MPG thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After mustering out of Uncle Sam's Yacht club, I took a job with a TV station in Amarillo, commuting about eight miles from my apartment on my motorcycle.

There was a big gas station on my route, and because I usually worked the late shift, it was usually closed when I rode by. I learned how to get free gas by pulling up to the pumps, in order, and draining a cup or two out of each hose. The bike didn't use much gas anyway, so I hardly ever paid for fuel.

Beat that, Elio!:p

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did read a thread about comparing it to the dead cylinder of the geo metro. I have owned a few already... been there done that...
got the t-shirt a couple of times already. But still 84 mpg compared to the geo is quite the stretch...
Not that amazing.
There've been folks that have approached 90mpg with a few aerodynamic "paneling" mods and simple engine mods on the metro.
Lets compare...
Metro = 1895 lb. curb weight
Elio = 1250 lb curb weight
Did you ever attempt to drive your metro with an additional 645 pounds of passengers with you?
I never did, but I can tell you that with just 380lb of extra passengers with me, the metro acted like it was about to roll over and die and gave up a good 15mpg. Just with two passengers. Not three large ones @ 645 lb. total. With just me in it my metro 3/5 hatchback consistantly got an average of 54mpg.
If you want to think of it in the other direction, imagine what the metro would have performed like if you threw out a third of it's weight.
With the Elio, you're talking the same basic HP in a vehicle that's 645lb lighter, not to mention that it's probably got at least 40% less frontal surface than the old metro, a more efficient fuel injected 55 Horses (less fuel, same horses), and a body that's being specifically designed to be as areodynamic as possible.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rickb,
I went to the Lit Site and it's totally broken!
I am using an older version of IE, but sites with non-supported updated code usually alert you if they anticipate major problems.
I then went to the Lit Facebook page, and it's just fine.
I saw the C-1 on Youtube some time ago, but am truely amazed with (correct me if I'm wrong) 0-60 in 6 seconds and 240 miles on a charge.
Wow. $24,000 is way too steep for me though.
I've already got two blinged out bikes that I paid $3000 and $1500, so even if the C-1 comes down to $12,000 in a few years, I'll really have to put some thought into it. But I've got to say, that thing is the sh*t and if it ever does come down to $12,000, they won't be able to make them fast enough.
I agree it's amazing.........but it's 200 miles on a charge which works for me......with a fairly quick charge time. Possibly a range extender option for cross country riders. $24K is steep for me too......but I'm old and need some excitement in my life. Lit Motors predict a major price drop with mass production......should be affordable.........just not as affordable as the Elio base model.......but start adding options.....then comparable. They are not as far along in the process as Elio........so I'll be driving my Elio awhile before I accept delivery on the C-1.

StinkyCheeze

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Not that amazing.
There've been folks that have approached 90mpg with a few aerodynamic "paneling" mods and simple engine mods on the metro.
Lets compare...
Metro = 1895 lb. curb weight
Elio = 1250 lb curb weight
Did you ever attempt to drive your metro with an additional 645 pounds of passengers with you?
I never did, but I can tell you that with just 380lb of extra passengers with me, the metro acted like it was about to roll over and die and gave up a good 15mpg. Just with two passengers. Not three large ones @ 645 lb. total. With just me in it my metro 3/5 hatchback consistantly got an average of 54mpg.
If you want to think of it in the other direction, imagine what the metro would have performed like if you threw out a third of it's weight.
With the Elio, you're talking the same basic HP in a vehicle that's 645lb lighter, not to mention that it's probably got at least 40% less frontal surface than the old metro, a more efficient fuel injected 55 Horses (less fuel, same horses), and a body that's being specifically designed to be as areodynamic as possible.

Well I am impressed at how we have come along over the years... I just want some specs. Is all... All in due time I suppose.

Top Bottom