• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Do You Stand Now?

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I honestly hope nobody loses their deposits. I hope Elio hires a good manager to run the production build out and gets the process moving forward and on schedule. I hope Elio reveals to it's 11,000 investors a business plan that is more than "we're working on it" and here is a new t-shirt. I hope they build these. And, I hope mine is equipped with heated seats and cruise control.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If Elio was only introducing the concept to the public, and not taking deposits on the vehicle (yes, I call them deposits), I might have a different outlook. However, they take deposits and keep delaying, so I do have my doubts.

To put it into perspective; would you pay a home contractor for a remodeling job and then accept years of delays?

I all makes me wonder if maybe they are underfunded and can't afford to build the production capabilities to produce and distribute on such a massive scale, or if they are without talented management who can make it happen at a reasonable pace. Both make me worry. Companies with innovations don't delay, because if they do, they will lose precious market share.

This concept seems ripe for one of the major car companies to swoop in, design their own vehicle (bet they are already doing that), use their own plant and equipment and manufacturing expertise to build it, market it at a profit equal to their econo-boxes, and sell it in their already established dealerships.

Elio has put this concept out there for everyone to see, and they are doing all the legwork of getting helmet laws changed. It seems like they are just making it ripe to be copied by others. If that happens, then their business plan might fall apart and they might not be able to sell enough units to survive. Elio has proven there is a desire and a market for the vehicles.

"Elio has put this concept out there for everyone to see, and they are doing all the legwork of getting helmet laws changed. It seems like they are just making it ripe to be copied by others. If that happens, then their business plan might fall apart and they might not be able to sell enough units to survive. Elio has proven there is a desire and a market for the vehicles."

Everybody coppies. Yet, some still made it. EM has the same chance. One advantage they do have over all the others in the past that did not maket it is, they don't make their own parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automobile_manufacturers_of_the_United_States

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'd like to point out that Tesla had many delays before they got up and running. TTAC (the truth about cars) had an almost weekly article about how it was just one big boondoggle and the whole enterprise was going nowhere.

I know the main difference is Elon Musk has almost unlimited money, but even with his money, delays kept happening and negativity was all over these here inter webs.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'd like to point out that Tesla had many delays before they got up and running. TTAC (the truth about cars) had an almost weekly article about how it was just one big boondoggle and the whole enterprise was going nowhere.

I know the main difference is Elon Musk has almost unlimited money, but even with his money, delays kept happening and negativity was all over these here inter webs.
From all I've read it appears money is the show stopper here.. I recall reading somewhere that Eio has 50 million BUT needs 150 million to get the ball rolling.. That's a lot of moolah!

Ray

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From all I've read it appears money is the show stopper here.. I recall reading somewhere that Eio has 50 million BUT needs 150 million to get the ball rolling.. That's a lot of moolah!

Ray
Yes, I think the idea is there are investors/venture capitalists that are waiting in the wings waiting to see more certainty and then they invest incrementally. (Maybe I dreamed up that last fact.) If Elio needed 150 mill more from the public this whole deal would be dead already. From all I can tell from reading around is 50 mil is enough for now, but more is needed to get cars rolling off the assembly line.

I'll panic later. I got some chores to do including putting my Elio bumper sticker on the back of my car.

The negativity of this thread was reminding me of that famous Pitino Celtics press conference meltdown.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I think the idea is there are investors/venture capitalists that are waiting in the wings waiting to see more certainty and then they invest incrementally. (Maybe I dreamed up that last fact.) If Elio needed 150 mill more from the public this whole deal would be dead already. From all I can tell from reading around is 50 mil is enough for now, but more is needed to get cars rolling off the assembly line.

I'll panic later. I got some chores to do including putting my Elio bumper sticker on the back of my car.

The negativity of this thread was reminding me of that famous Pitino Celtics press conference meltdown.
Not trying to be negative just realistic..

tenbsmith

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right, we all want Elio to succeed, but some of us are concerned it won't. My uneducated guess is that the delays are mostly driven by budgetary limitations. The more reservations and interest, the more likely an investor is to sign up.

mike171

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I am still convinced that the money I put on this venture is money well spent. If Em was trying to pull a fast one then why spend the money to secure a well outfitted factory and convince state governments to implement changes to laws. Both of these tasks take a tremendous amount of work to accomplish. The delays are something that is unavoidable when trying to start a new car company from scratch. The times for start of production have always been listed as projections not set in stone. I have complete confidence that the Elio will succeed because the concept is solid and I have heard the passion in Paul Elio's voice when speaking of his dream.

Top Bottom