• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where's The Beef?

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I always assumed that people with white cars just bought what was on the lot. I know from recent shopping that car lots REALLY want to sell what they happen to have. I had cash in hand and they couldn't be bothered to find me the color I wanted. There's a local Chevy lot that takes it to a whole new level. The owner likes extended cab trucks so it's all he orders. A bubble around the lot people all have extended cab trucks because that's what is there and they just don't bother to get what they really want. The next town over people have all kinds of trucks, but here it's all the same.

I'd actually like to see a chart about what colors people would order versus what color car they drive now.

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I always assumed that people with white cars just bought what was on the lot. I know from recent shopping that car lots REALLY want to sell what they happen to have. I had cash in hand and they couldn't be bothered to find me the color I wanted. There's a local Chevy lot that takes it to a whole new level. The owner likes extended cab trucks so it's all he orders. A bubble around the lot people all have extended cab trucks because that's what is there and they just don't bother to get what they really want. The next town over people have all kinds of trucks, but here it's all the same.

I'd actually like to see a chart about what colors people would order versus what color car they drive now.

The topic is "Where's the Beef?" and here is a photo of my White Elio 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited w/318 V8 4x4. The other is my backup transportation.
00u0u_38KDjSQ4s2O_1200x900.jpg
superman.jpg

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The last white car I bought for myself was my 1967 Sunbeam Minx, the white really suited that little car. I tend to gravitate toward reds and blues, but we just bought my wife a white Jaguar XF S. She was looking for black but when she saw the white she actually wept, she loved it that much.

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great research.
There must be a reason firetrucks are red, and many Fire Departments are buying new trucks in yellow-green- VISIBILITY.
Check out a large parking lot, and the first color that "stands out" will be yellow.

"For (photopic) color vision, the human eye is most sensitive to the wavelength 555 nm, which most people perceive as yellow-green. It is actually closer to yellow in terms of wavelength, but perceptually looks closer to green. For scotopic (night) vision the peak wavelength is 507 nm, except we see that in black and white."

I wanted it as a safety feature

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Great research.
There must be a reason firetrucks are red, and many Fire Departments are buying new trucks in yellow-green- VISIBILITY.
Check out a large parking lot, and the first color that "stands out" will be yellow.

"For (photopic) color vision, the human eye is most sensitive to the wavelength 555 nm, which most people perceive as yellow-green. It is actually closer to yellow in terms of wavelength, but perceptually looks closer to green. For scotopic (night) vision the peak wavelength is 507 nm, except we see that in black and white."

I wanted it as a safety feature

Seems like I remember reading somewhere that yellow automotive paint is MUCH more expensive than other colors. If that's true it would explain why Elio isn't offering it...

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Red is typically the most expensive, or used to be. Part of it was the difficulty in making the pigment and partly because people who like red will pay up.

Some vehicles were colors because they wanted a uniform appearance. School bus yellow for example is mostly just because past buses were yellow. Fire engines could be any color and the lights and horns would still be enough.

I like red but I think I want a deep green since it's less over-used. I'll end up getting green paint and wishing to add a darker metallic flaked clear.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Red is typically the most expensive, or used to be. Part of it was the difficulty in making the pigment and partly because people who like red will pay up.

Some vehicles were colors because they wanted a uniform appearance. School bus yellow for example is mostly just because past buses were yellow. Fire engines could be any color and the lights and horns would still be enough.

I like red but I think I want a deep green since it's less over-used. I'll end up getting green paint and wishing to add a darker metallic flaked clear.

Thoughts on your post.... If I'm not mistaken, school buses are yellow for high visibility. Fire trucks used to all be red for visibility also... but that's changed, I've seen them in white and yellow recently. Red is always an eye catcher (I have a red truck). The problem is red attracts the cops like a slaughter house slop bucket attracts flies. Used car dealers used to say never buy a green car because its harder to sell and brings less money. However, today's green cars can look great. I love the green Kia Soul.

Top Bottom