• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Not Buy A Geo Metro Or 1st Gen Insight?

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First off, I really hope I am wrong, but there is no way Elio takes off.

Everyone here says "can't wait to see those MPGs"....So why do you guys and gals wait?

Many people with first generation Insights claim 60 to 70 highway mpgs.

I currently drive a 96 geo metro and fixing a 93 geo metro xfi. For the ones who don't know, the xfi got the best gas mileage and iirc it got 57 highway.

So why put $1000 on a car that may not be built when you could put $1000-$3000 on a nice geo metro?

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hay look everyone, a new sh-t stirrer.

upload_2014-5-2_0-2-8.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.:)

Last edited:

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Everyone here says "can't wait to see those MPGs"....So why do you guys and gals wait?

I currently drive a 96 geo metro and fixing a 93 geo metro xfi. For the ones who don't know, the xfi got the best gas mileage and iirc it got 57 highway.

So why put $1000 on a car that may not be built when you could put $1000-$3000 on a nice geo metro?
Oh buddy you opened a can of worms posting something like this here but let me get started, your geo wont get the mileage my elio will, i have no desire/time to find an old piece of shit geo and dump money into it, your geo wont be as reliable as my elio, my girlfriend wont ride in a geo, your geo wont be nearly as safe, i could go on all day! I have NEVER heard someone say how they were proud about dumping $1000-$3000 on a "nice" geo....lol

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

You see, we know you are wrong. The Elio is going to happen and frankly I do not want a geo nice or otherwise, nor do I want a Honda Insight. My son has one and he loves it. But he is the one who introduced me to the Elio because he saw it and fell in love. So did I. Besides, there is the wonderful adventure of following the progress of the Elio moving towards production. There is no other opportunity like it in the country. And quite frankly, if it were not to happen, I believe it is still worth the risk to participate in this wonderful adventure.

Now, I usually greet people so welcome from Oregon. I sincerely hope reading the Elio Motors website and this forum will help you understand where we are all coming from. You are very young and there are a lot of knowledgeable people sharing ideas, exploring everything Elio and beyond. The things I have learned on this forum alone have made the journey thus far worth more than almost any other experience in my life and I am 72 years old. We have excellent support staff so if you have questions or issues be sure to contact them. In the mean time, waiting for those 84 mpg, and looking forward to more new things to learn every day; Hello and welcome. :-) Z

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well lets be honest here. Your Elios don't get 84 mpg. They get infinite MPGs since you guys have to walk everywhere. :D

You guys do know the original Elio has a 3 cylinder geo metro engine in it correct? A lot of the interior parts were the same.

Why do you call the Geo metro a pos? The only thing that really sucks on them is the rust issues. The engines are near bulletproof.

Utah jake - you say you have no time to waste on an older metro. That is an understandable argument, but how long have you been waiting for an Elio? Weren't they originally supposed to be out by now?

And I do hope I am wrong. If so I will buy one....but I don't see it happening.

Ty - To go out of business means you were actually in business. Also Elio wouldn't even be an idea if gas was still $1/gal. That is a big reason why metros aren't made any more.......Actually metros are still made in other countries.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You see, we know you are wrong. The Elio is going to happen and frankly I do not want a geo nice or otherwise, nor do I want a Honda Insight. My son has one and he loves it. But he is the one who introduced me to the Elio because he saw it and fell in love. So did I. Besides, there is the wonderful adventure of following the progress of the Elio moving towards production. There is no other opportunity like it in the country. And quite frankly, if it were not to happen, I believe it is still worth the risk to participate in this wonderful adventure.

Now, I usually greet people so welcome from Oregon. I sincerely hope reading the Elio Motors website and this forum will help you understand where we are all coming from. You are very young and there are a lot of knowledgeable people sharing ideas, exploring everything Elio and beyond. The things I have learned on this forum alone have made the journey thus far worth more than almost any other experience in my life and I am 72 years old. We have excellent support staff so if you have questions or issues be sure to contact them. In the mean time, waiting for those 84 mpg, and looking forward to more new things to learn every day; Hello and welcome. :) Z

Thanks and hello and welcome to you to. I like the style of the elio. I have seen their site. I have seen deadlines pushed back. I actually hope it has a suzuki 3 cylinder engine.

As far as the insight, I don't know a ton about those. They are still pricey....even the 14 year old ones.

I just don't understand putting 1k down now though. Too much risk. 2 years ago you could have put that money in the stock market and had the $1500. It would be yours and no risk of it disappearing (assuming you sold).

I think watching it and following it is a good idea though.

Top Bottom