• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Not Buy A Geo Metro Or 1st Gen Insight?

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I completely agree about the tesla. I wouldn't buy a new volt or prius either. YUCK! Like I've said, if the elio does actually get built, I will be looking to buy one.

I just don't put $1000 on thinking and feelings....Its gotta be facts that I can justify. Everyone has their own opinion of what is a justification.

You have one point and that is its possible that the Elio will not make mass production. But it is also possible that it will and people here are hoping that it will. Nothing is gained without some form of risk. Some people here risked 100$ like me others risked the 1000$ or other amounts in between. We all accept that risk and hope that we will be rewarded with a Elio vehicle of our own. You think this risk is not worth investing in and you are free to do so.

From what is see Elio is showing progress and will be in production sometime next year. I am patient person and I also know that going from 0 to a full production vehicle doesn't happen over night. I know set backs and issues happen. Just like in life things don't always go as planned.

I have driven a Geo before. And if for some reason Elio doesn't happen I will buy a Gen 1 Insight like i was planning to do when I stumbled across the Elio a few years ago.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
but i wasnt awake at all and i woke up from that dream and was sitting in my very own elio passing you at the gas station smiling-and you yelling -porque!!!!!

So you were sleeping while you were driving? That sounds dangerous!

and my $500 xfi that I can get get 55mpg right now will be on the road now! Also you can do the math to find out how long it would take to offset in terms of paying for gas.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You have one point and that is its possible that the Elio will not make mass production. But it is also possible that it will and people here are hoping that it will. Nothing is gained without some form of risk. Some people here risked 100$ like me others risked the 1000$ or other amounts in between. We all accept that risk and hope that we will be rewarded with a Elio vehicle of our own. You think this risk is not worth investing in and you are free to do so.

From what is see Elio is showing progress and will be in production sometime next year. I am patient person and I also know that going from 0 to a full production vehicle doesn't happen over night. I know set backs and issues happen. Just like in life things don't always go as planned.

I have driven a Geo before. And if for some reason Elio doesn't happen I will buy a Gen 1 Insight like i was planning to do when I stumbled across the Elio a few years ago.

I would like to look more into first gen insights, but I can't justify paying 7k for a 14 year old car that could need 3k in hybrid batteries.

That is one thing I really like about the elio. I wish it would just take the drive train out of the geo metro. It is prove and reliable. The elio is more aero dynamic and lighter (i think) which should get it between 60-75mpg depending the on the transmission combo.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to look more into first gen insights, but I can't justify paying 7k for a 14 year old car that could need 3k in hybrid batteries.

That is one thing I really like about the elio. I wish it would just take the drive train out of the geo metro. It is prove and reliable. The elio is more aero dynamic and lighter (i think) which should get it between 60-75mpg depending the on the transmission combo.

It is the drive train out of the Geo basically. If you look at the models of the engine and look at a geo motor you will see they are very similar. it looks as if it has only been slightly modernized. Someone posted pictures of a completed block of the IAV engine on the engine section of this forum they were taken down for some reason.

Gen 1 insights here in socal are anywhere between 3-7k depending on condition and mileage. I had a trade going for one but they backed out on me. I also looked into the gen 1 Civic hybrids. less mpg but more room.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yea the the elio's that I have seen have the geo drive train. There are 4 different manual transmissions they had 4.39, 4.10, 3.79, and 3.52. the 3.52s were on some 4 cylinders so ignore thoses.

You will not get 84 mpgs with the 4.39 trans in one of these. NO Way! I could see 55 maybe 60 max. They are actually suzuki engines. The only thing that really goes bad with the engines is the exhaust valves. Very easy to swap out though.

I agree with the price on the insights. I was talking about the nicer ones. I really don't want to buy an insight with 200k mainly due to electronics. Now a 3 cylinder suzuki motor is no problem.

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh buddy you opened a can of worms posting something like this here but let me get started, your geo wont get the mileage my elio will, i have no desire/time to find an old piece of shit geo and dump money into it, your geo wont be as reliable as my elio, my girlfriend wont ride in a geo, your geo wont be nearly as safe, i could go on all day! I have NEVER heard someone say how they were proud about dumping $1000-$3000 on a "nice" geo....lol
I owned a 92 Geo Metro convertible, It averaged 50 mpg , never had mechanical problems and it cost back then 8 or 9 thousand.. They were good reliable cars,, Chev dumped them and Suzuki stopped making the motor..Now Suzuki does not sell cars in the US period.. It would be nice if Elio could have bought or made a deal with whomever to produce that motor, it was a 1ltr with 50 hp and so easy do all maintenance myself..I drove it over 130,000 miles, only cost were, a battery, muffler and tires..I did not take it back to a dealer for any problems..So, yes I'd prefer it in my Elio over an un-tested / tried IAV.. That was over 20 years ago. The Elio concept is much more appealing..However as previousky stated, I'm not convinced any of us will get one, and if we do will be enjoy driving it,, Ain't it normal for a person to test drive an automobile before forking over a deposit / down payment ?

GeoStalker

Reaction score
A buddy of mine made his own version of the Elio.....from a Geo Metro!! All he did was cut a third of the car out from the middle, weld it back together, and BAM!!! Sure it's ugly, but it gets 60mpgs and cost him NOTHING other than time and welding materials.

Settle down everyone....if it weren't for the Geo Metro, the Elio concept wouldn't exist. Secondly, the "Geo" concept has been in place since the mid 80's, starting out as the Chevy Sprint, then evolving to Geo Metro, then Chevy Metro. With low gas prices and the onset of the SUV love affair Chevy eventually phased it out. But it had a run of 15+ years.....not bad.

Finally, and this is for Utah Jake, you won't drive a Geo Metro because your GIRLFRIEND won't ride in one? Yet she'll sit BEHIND YOU in an Elio??

Or is SHE the driver?? :p

Pictures of my buddy's BOGETRO.

20140328_1628071_zpsa8078937.jpg

20140328_1622421_zps3f2b26cd.jpg

20140328_1620401_zps52a7c0a1.jpg

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok people, please stop feeding the troll. If you don't feed trolls, they eventually go away to seek out food elsewhere for their ego. :cool:
The troll has a good point though. I have considered doing what he suggested many times... But if my car lasts another year I'll be going with the Elio.

Top Bottom