• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Not Buy A Geo Metro Or 1st Gen Insight?

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"the way you drove a Metro was to 'conserve momentum like a squirrel hoards nuts'"
Perfect description. When our "family car" was in the shop, and my wife, 2 small kids and I were all in the Sprint together, I had to get out and push uphill. We made a few 200 mile plus trips in the Sprint to save on gas, but even with small kids it was cramped. But, having said that, it was still an adequate commuter car for 1 guy driving 10 miles to the train station.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I knew I was right.
10 to 1 says half of those guys own an Elio before the end of the first production year. JMO
Looking at the thread on their now, I think you're right. Several member cautioned them to be respectful over here and not be trolls. Several commented they like what they see in the Elio and hope it gets produced. Since then, none of them have posted here.

It's one thing to come over here and be objective, it's another to come over here just to stir crap up. And from what they posted on their forum, they all but admit that they are just here to stir things up. Good to know they do have some good people over there as well that saw through what the bad seeds were doing.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Us geo trolls are still.

First off id like to apologize for the start of the thread.

Now back to the arguing. Lol.

I'm actually surprised you didn't find the thread sooner.

I have provided valuable info on the transmission ratios that you guys should be asking.

As of right now it is a modern 3 wheeled geo metro. I am not bashing the car itself. I just don't think it will be mass produced. I don't like the business model and I feel like you guys are getting screwed.

Now quite a few of would buy one in a heartbeat....but many of us wouldn't because after transportation, taxes etc it will probably be 8k or more out the door. The fuel savings would take too long.

What would make me switch would be the comfort level. My metro feels like a gokart.

Some ppl on here say the 3 cyl meto is junk. As of right now the drive train is the same. So that would make the elio junk.

So why wait on gas mileage though? You can have great mpgs. Metros are hard to come by, but I don't remember the last time I saw an elio for sale.

Again most of us like it because it is a modern metro but I don't see any facts.

84mpg on a car where we don't know the engine or trans?

Hell if they just got 55mpg with the metro engine id be happy

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Us geo trolls are still.

First off id like to apologize for the start of the thread.

Now back to the arguing. Lol.

I'm actually surprised you didn't find the thread sooner.

I have provided valuable info on the transmission ratios that you guys should be asking.

As of right now it is a modern 3 wheeled geo metro. I am not bashing the car itself. I just don't think it will be mass produced. I don't like the business model and I feel like you guys are getting screwed.

Now quite a few of would buy one in a heartbeat....but many of us wouldn't because after transportation, taxes etc it will probably be 8k or more out the door. The fuel savings would take too long.

What would make me switch would be the comfort level. My metro feels like a gokart.

Some ppl on here say the 3 cyl meto is junk. As of right now the drive train is the same. So that would make the elio junk.

So why wait on gas mileage though? You can have great mpgs. Metros are hard to come by, but I don't remember the last time I saw an elio for sale.

Again most of us like it because it is a modern metro but I don't see any facts.

84mpg on a car where we don't know the engine or trans?

Hell if they just got 55mpg with the metro engine id be happy
The Elio is using the Geo powertrain, that is true. It's also pushing less than half the air as it has a much smaller frontal area and it also is quite a bit lighter though at 1,600 or so pounds, the metro wasn't exactly the heaviest car around. The Elio will be using a newly designed motor that does have 3 cylinders like the Geo and many cars that are currently in production. I don't understand what it is about the business model that you wouldn't like. There will be no salesmen pressuring you to buy. It's more like Tesla in that the factory owns the stores. The pre-sales were done to generate interest and to show suppliers that there is a market. Right now, a door lock maker knows he can make and sell at least 16,000 door locks. (yes, people could cancel but more will join in as soon as production starts as they always do) Elio is "rewarding" people who buy in early and are actually helping getting the ball rolling by giving them an instant 50% return on investment (don't flame me for saying that... I know it's only a realized gain on selling but still, getting $1,500 off the price for putting in $1,000 could be looked at as very similar). I'm not going to bash Geo - I bought, fixed, and sold two Trackers for fun. They were decent little cars and except for one exhaust valve, they gave me no trouble. They also only gave me about 27MPG. But, that could just be my driving style. Anyway, what most of "us" want is a car that gets phenomenal gas mileage and the best way to do that is have an efficient engine, light weight, and low drag. What I also want is to see an auto manufacturer build an inexpensive car that is reasonably reliable. People are much more likely to buy a new car than purchase a fixer-upper. Me? I have no problem pulling motors and fixing cars (my wife would rather I not do that any more as she likes having the garage space for her car and not my projects but that's another issue). Can Elio be a good thing? Absolutely. Building American cars IN America using American workers. Plus, it wouldn't hurt the country one bit to become less reliant on oil imports through an overall increase in fuel economy. I'll be able to park my 14.8MPG truck and drive my 84MPG Elio (If it only gets 60, that's fine too) and save more money every month than I'll spend on a payment for my Elio. True, I could drive some beater but then I wouldn't be supporting progress or supporting a company that will employ 1,500 of my fellow Americans (Which may... just may... lower the amount we pay out in welfare... Well, the more workers, the better, right?)

BTW, saying things like "I don't remember the last time I saw an elio for sale" is really crass. The answer is Never. But saying that makes you a "Troll" and shows that you are trying to elicit responses through mean, pointless posts. If you want to know about Elios, this is the right place. If you are just wanting to be an ass or tell everyone "the Metro is the best vehicle of all time and I'm always right", please do it elsewhere and leave all us crazy people alone. We may be contageous.

Top Bottom