• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Power Windows And A Single Power Door Lock?

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can anyone explain (rationally) why Elio thinks I NEED (WANT) a power door lock on a one door vehicle? Is it cheaper to put in a power lock (which can screw up and FUBAR your day when it does - believe me, I've had this less-than-pleasurable experience)? This 'option' may add to the list of expectations for a sedan buyer...but in no way will an Elio owner benefit. Give me cruise control or a rear camera in place of a button I have to push for a door lock - when the damn door is RIGHT FREAKIN' THERE! Does this make sense to anyone else ...or am I ranting again?

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is supposedly cheaper, lighter and has a simpler supply chain. I wanted a manual window crank and manual lock, too, but this was the explanation that people here said.

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can anyone explain (rationally) why Elio thinks I NEED (WANT) a power door lock on a one door vehicle? Is it cheaper to put in a power lock (which can screw up and FUBAR your day when it does - believe me, I've had this less-than-pleasurable experience)? This 'option' may add to the list of expectations for a sedan buyer...but in no way will an Elio owner benefit. Give me cruise control or a rear camera in place of a button I have to push for a door lock - when the damn door is RIGHT FREAKIN' THERE! Does this make sense to anyone else ...or am I ranting again?

GoofyOne posted this 07-02-14

"I don't think I have heard a direct reason for the power door lock but it is my guess that it is a cost and/or weight savings issue just like the power windows. We have been told that power windows are standard on the Elio because power windows are both lighter and less expensive than manual windows which require more physical hardware to operate."

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/keyless-entry-standard-if-not-price-idea.1705/page-3

Ausrere

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I want it so when I have my hands full of a briefcase and one or two small bags of groceries when I get home, like I do now, I can lock the car door when I get to my kitchen door and can set all that stuff down. Not to mention most of them beep and honk the horn when you lock them. I usually forget if I locked the car until I'm half way to the store or office door. With a remote I can press the button again and listen for the beep instead of turning around and walking all the way back to the car to find out. :D

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I think at least 75% of the reason for most of the standard equipment is marketing. If you think about it, it sounds good getting all this stuff in the base price and it's all relatively inexpensive. The more standard options you can add to the base without greatly adding to the price the better.

Reaction score
I believe some of you are confusing power locks with remote locks. They're not the same things. Remote locks and remote starting systems are fun but I rather not have them on a three season vehicle. And power windows with only one door seem to me a safety issue. Again for 6800 bucks, I'll take what I get, And Be Happy Happy Happy !!! Good Night Folks, tomorrow is Grandma day.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks like the eyes have it. Next topic please.
I want it so when I have my hands full of a briefcase and one or two small bags of groceries when I get home, like I do now, I can lock the car door when I get to my kitchen door and can set all that stuff down. Not to mention most of them beep and honk the horn when you lock them. I usually forget if I locked the car until I'm half way to the store or office door. With a remote I can press the button again and listen for the beep instead of turning around and walking all the way back to the car to find out. :D
I like this explanation the best. Plus grappling for keys is a glaring tell to thugs.

Top Bottom