• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Power Windows And A Single Power Door Lock?

D.D.Bwana

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parts count and profit.

1. Parts count. Having 2 options increases parts count. The percentage of buyers that want manual locks only (even with the Elio) are really small.
2. Profit. Options make automakers money. Making all with cars power locks gives the potential to add an option of remote or keyless entry (or bluetooth controls) with the addition of a simple plug in module. Also, the additional of a module would require minimal skills to install so a sales person could install instead of a technician or mechanic.

That said, I would REALLY like manual door locks since I don't like having to replace remotes or FOB's and would like to be able to open my door in the event of battery failure on the car.
I would rather have my Elio open the door for me when I walk up to her. Then I sit down and she drives me to my destination. (Probably needs a bigger plug in module.)

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are we certain the power door locks have a remote to lock and unlock the driver's door and or the rear hatch door. My Ford pickup had power door LOCKS but had to use the key to unlock the vehicle and it didn't lock automatically.
Power locks do not mean it has a remote entry system. But you can at least add remote entry after market. With manual locks I don't beleive remote entry is possible.

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are we certain the power door locks have a remote to lock and unlock the driver's door and or the rear hatch door. My Ford pickup had power door LOCKS but had to use the key to unlock the vehicle and it didn't lock automatically.
I have the same on my Prizm, but it's a 1995. Of course, that was the Stone Age.

Reaction score

Yea, That's what I'm saying Rick. My old ford has power / auto locks. I only have to hit one button and all four door lock or unlock. And when I travel a few yards down the road the doors lock automatically. I still have to use my key to unlock the driver's door and use the button to unlock the other doors. I hate it. I hate the whole car, but that's another story.Power windows only uses a button to wind the window instead of a crank. We are at mercy of that button. But then again we will not have the crank in the way. $6,800, I'll take what I get and Be Happy Happy Happy.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A power door lock is the least of my concerns at this point, but I would like to see the 'electronics' kept to a minimum, not that it would actually happen though. Most of the issues with newer cars are not mechanical, they are electronic, and are much harder (and more expensive) to fix.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In an e-mail to Elio Motors:
I understand the Elio will have a power door lock.
Will it have a manual key unlock, locking button on door or a power remote?

Elio replied:
Elio Motors Customer Service (Elio Motors)
Jul 17 16:11
Hey !
We haven't yet determined what door unlock will come standard, so please stay tuned!

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Can anyone explain (rationally) why Elio thinks I NEED (WANT) a power door lock on a one door vehicle? Is it cheaper to put in a power lock (which can screw up and FUBAR your day when it does - believe me, I've had this less-than-pleasurable experience)? This 'option' may add to the list of expectations for a sedan buyer...but in no way will an Elio owner benefit. Give me cruise control or a rear camera in place of a button I have to push for a door lock - when the damn door is RIGHT FREAKIN' THERE! Does this make sense to anyone else ...or am I ranting again?

Not a rant. I agree with you completely. One door and you need automatic door locks? Give me a break. Could be that the supplier of the electric windows produces a package where the door locks are included. Who knows?

Top Bottom