• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Power Windows And A Single Power Door Lock?

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only reason I can see for power windows is so I can control the passenger windows from the drivers seat. If both sides of the vehicle are right next to me I can crank the windows myself and the only reason I can see for power door locks is so I don't have to lean over or walk around to the other side of the vehicle to lock the passenger door HELLO! There's only one door. If you're serious about keeping weight down on the vehicle lose two electric motors, one solenoid, the associated wiring and give me two window cranks and a key.

http://www.elioowners.com/search/463902/?q=Why+Power+Windows+And+Door+Locks&o=date&c[node]=8

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I think at least 75% of the reason for most of the standard equipment is marketing. If you think about it, it sounds good getting all this stuff in the base price and it's all relatively inexpensive. The more standard options you can add to the base without greatly adding to the price the better.

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would prefer manual windows and lock but the "packaging"of the interior is more flexable with the electric function, one less ergo concern as well as prior stated weight/cost availability advantages. Pick a standard unit and place the buttons anywhere you want. I am concerned that there may be buffeting issue with the windows down at speed. This will be a non issue for most , but I like to drive with the windows down. Due to the fact that most people are not concerned with this ,it is probably not considered in the desigh. Or rather it was addressed by including standard AC.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hate power windows, but try to find a vehicle today that doesn't have them. Never fails, I forgot to roll up the window, it starts to rain, run out to get them up, only to find I grabbed the wrong set of keys. By the time I get the other set, I'm soaked, the seat is soaked, and the stupid window won't go up. Power windows! Gotta love them.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I hate power windows, but try to find a vehicle today that doesn't have them. Never fails, I forgot to roll up the window, it starts to rain, run out to get them up, only to find I grabbed the wrong set of keys. By the time I get the other set, I'm soaked, the seat is soaked, and the stupid window won't go up. Power windows! Gotta love them.
The future of AT&T Car Connect :p Raining and you're stuck at the office? Log onto the website and roll up your windows.

I was joking when I typed that, but it may be a genuinely useful enhancement to that existing product.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would prefer manual windows and lock but the "packaging"of the interior is more flexable with the electric function, one less ergo concern as well as prior stated weight/cost availability advantages. Pick a standard unit and place the buttons anywhere you want. I am concerned that there may be buffeting issue with the windows down at speed. This will be a non issue for most , but I like to drive with the windows down. Due to the fact that most people are not concerned with this ,it is probably not considered in the desigh. Or rather it was addressed by including standard AC.
I'll bet it is. The thing looks a lot more aerodynamic than 95% of the cars I see on the road and probably whatever you or I are going to drive to work tomorrow.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The future of AT&T Car Connect :p Raining and you're stuck at the office? Log onto the website and roll up your windows.

I was joking when I typed that, but it may be a genuinely useful enhancement to that existing product.
Joshua, I'm old school, my cell phone only makes phone calls and slow texting, no apps and my computer has been unplugged for a year. My I-pad is all I have and wifi in my area is iffy. I don't work so even if an app existed it wouldn't do me any good. I still have to run out in the rain! I'm melting!!! LOL

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Manual windows, eh?

A few years ago I flew to Miami and had to hire a car to drive to West Palm Beach. I was jet lagged. I had to go through a toll booth (we don't have many of those in UK these days). I wasn't used to the car and couldn't find the switch for the power windows. I had to reverse the car so I could climb out and make payment, causing embarrassment to me, amusement to the toll money lady and delay to drivers behind me.

The next morning I noticed the car had manual windows....... Doh!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey ross welcome aboard --- I know it doesn't seem to make any sense but you have to realize the Elio is using as many "off the shelf" parts as possible. Power window and power locks are common and readily available at a good price. Manual locks and windows are rare. We've also been told the power windows and locks are actually lighter.
They are lighter and Cheaper to purchase...

Being lighter makes sense but of course the follow up question is: How can it be less expensive to include a single power door lock as standard equipment?

The answer can be found by understanding the Elio Motors quest for saving money by considering the larger picture. We already know that Elio Motors is using power windows because today they are both lighter and cheaper as manual windows are actually more mechanically complex and not made in enough numbers anymore. What ends up happening is that the power door lock unit and the power window unit are one assembly installed at one time. It is my understanding that there is actually no difference in cost between a power window/power lock assembly vs a power window/manual lock assembly because the latter is not produced in volume anymore. However there is an increased cost associated with having to include these variations in the entire assembly and distribution process which means that in reality offering a choice would actually end up being more expensive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom