• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Power Windows And A Single Power Door Lock?

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The future of AT&T Car Connect :p Raining and you're stuck at the office? Log onto the website and roll up your windows.

I was joking when I typed that, but it may be a genuinely useful enhancement to that existing product.
Could use the rain sensor that turns on the wipers to wind up the windows.

In 1958, the Cadillac Motor Car Division of General Motors experimented with a water-sensitive switch that triggered various electric motors to close the convertible top and raise the open windows of a specially-built Eldorado Biarritz model, in case of rain. The first such device appears to have been used for that same purpose in a concept vehicle designated Le Sabre and built around 1950–51. For Model Year 1996, Cadillac once again equipped cars with an automatic rain sensor; this time to automatically trigger the windshield wipers and adjust their speed to conditions as necessary.

The most common modern rain sensors are based on the principle of total internal reflection: an infrared light is beamed at a 45-degree angle into the windshield from the interior — if the glass is wet, less light makes it back to the sensor, and the wipers turn on. Most vehicles with this feature have an "AUTO" position on the stalk.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only reason I can see for power windows is so I can control the passenger windows from the drivers seat. If both sides of the vehicle are right next to me I can crank the windows myself and the only reason I can see for power door locks is so I don't have to lean over or walk around to the other side of the vehicle to lock the passenger door HELLO! There's only one door. If you're serious about keeping weight down on the vehicle lose two electric motors, one solenoid, the associated wiring and give me two window cranks and a key.
Ross, I would encourage you to use the forum search function on this issue. There are many posts on this topic but to quickly answer your question according to Paul Elio it is cheaper to use power windows that manual ones. This is important in keeping the cost as close to $6800 as possible. It is pure economics.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ross, I would encourage you to use the forum search function on this issue. There are many posts on this topic but to quickly answer your question according to Paul Elio it is cheaper to use power windows that manual ones. This is important in keeping the cost as close to $6800 as possible. It is pure economics.
Settled! Now quick! Everyone hide!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Manual windows, eh?

A few years ago I flew to Miami and had to hire a car to drive to West Palm Beach. I was jet lagged. I had to go through a toll booth (we don't have many of those in UK these days). I wasn't used to the car and couldn't find the switch for the power windows. I had to reverse the car so I could climb out and make payment, causing embarrassment to me, amusement to the toll money lady and delay to drivers behind me.

The next morning I noticed the car had manual windows....... Doh!
Oh wheaters, I feel for you for your embarrassment, but. . . . . You just gave me my first laugh for the day. That is a great story. Thank you for being brave enough to share it. :p :p :rolleyes: :) Z

trock59

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Joshua, I'm old school, my cell phone only makes phone calls and slow texting, no apps and my computer has been unplugged for a year. My I-pad is all I have and wifi in my area is iffy. I don't work so even if an app existed it wouldn't do me any good. I still have to run out in the rain! I'm melting!!! LOL
Most auto alarm stores have systems that use relays to "roll up" the windows when it's armed so you can just hit the button from inside the house and stay dry. Usually less than 200 bucks.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Th
Most auto alarm stores have systems that use relays to "roll up" the windows when it's armed so you can just hit the button from inside the house and stay dry. Usually less than 200 bucks.
Thanks for the info Trock59. As you can tell from my post I'm not a high tech person, and I'm pretty cheep. I'm waiting for a $6800 dollar car for Pete's sake! LOL

Jan

Reaction score
I don't understand the need on the Elio for Power Windows. I would prefer a "Base" Model that comes with manual door locks and hand crank windows. Put the expensive to replace power stuff as add ons please!

Top Bottom