• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Power Windows And A Single Power Door Lock?

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are we certain the power door locks have a remote to lock and unlock the driver's door and or the rear hatch door. My Ford pickup had power door LOCKS but had to use the key to unlock the vehicle and it didn't lock automatically.
Yeah; What he said here. If the auto lock doesn't include the 14 inch trunk. Would someone from Elio please clarify?????????

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe some of you are confusing power locks with remote locks. They're not the same things. Remote locks and remote starting systems are fun but I rather not have them on a three season vehicle. And power windows with only one door seem to me a safety issue. Again for 6800 bucks, I'll take what I get, And Be Happy Happy Happy !!! Good Night Folks, tomorrow is Grandma day.
Which brings it back to the question of why a power lock on a single door? Powered windows may have a weight savings over manual, but a power-lock is still going to lock manually as well. And that post for the lock only weighs a couple ounces...

Ausrere

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Which brings it back to the question of why a power lock on a single door? Powered windows may have a weight savings over manual, but a power-lock is still going to lock manually as well. And that post for the lock only weighs a couple ounces...

Anyone know if the rear hatch door is going to be power lockable as well? That would make sense. It'd be kind of hard to reach that lock while sitting in the front seat so a power lock would come in handy. If you wanted to lock it while in the vehicle.

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes but the cost of a complex lock mechanism unique to each car is more expensive than a pair of electric lock actuators for the extra doors.(hatch and fuel door)

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes but the cost of a complex lock mechanism unique to each car is more expensive than a pair of electric lock actuators for the extra doors.(hatch and fuel door)
Complex lock mechanism? Power locks are just manual locks with an actuator attached to it. So power locks are still manual locks.

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Complex lock mechanism? Power locks are just manual locks with an actuator attached to it. So power locks are still manual locks.
Manual lock cylinders(where you insert a key) require relatively precise machining(which is also rather unique per vehicle if the lock is to be effective) compared to power lock actuators. With "power locks" neither the hatch nor the fuel door would require lock cylinders at all reducing the number required from 3-4(ignition, door, hatch, & fuel door if locking) to 2 (ignition switch & door) the other 2 would in that case likely be replaced by simple lock actuators that were essentially slaves to the main door lock's micro switch inputs to control lock/unlock.

Look at older vehicles' passenger side doors many have a lock cylinder to match the drivers side, now look at a many new cars, no lock on the passenger's side. The manufacturer spends less $$ on expensive locks per vehicle and manages to convince the customer it's a feature! ;)

Which essentially brings us back to post #7.(it's a feature!)

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Parts count and profit.

1. Parts count. Having 2 options increases parts count. The percentage of buyers that want manual locks only (even with the Elio) are really small.
2. Profit. Options make automakers money. Making all with cars power locks gives the potential to add an option of remote or keyless entry (or bluetooth controls) with the addition of a simple plug in module. Also, the additional of a module would require minimal skills to install so a sales person could install instead of a technician or mechanic.

That said, I would REALLY like manual door locks since I don't like having to replace remotes or FOB's and would like to be able to open my door in the event of battery failure on the car.

Top Bottom