• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will Other Drivers See Us?

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
JNR is the winner, TexasElio. :) The body is half the width of a normal car, and even with a bit more height to it, it will probably be shorter than most sedans.

Since the front wheel base is wider than most vehicles, it will be very visible width-wise, if that makes sense.

There have been discussions in this forum about:
  • Reflectors being installed, either by Elio Motors or after-market by us, on the rear of the fenders to improve visibility of it esp. at night
  • Passing a semi on a 2-lane highway; instead of moving out to the left a little, you'll have to move your Elio out to the left a lot, to see around the big truck; might have to stay back from it farther too when looking to pass, and thus needing more space to pass it

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have offered comparisons to my roadster Pontiac Solstice as it had similar dimensions and ground clearance was quite low. I did see a post on this MB (muffler, IIRC) showing the under carriage of Elio and what appeared to be a soft drink glass lying beneath the vehicle. That cup is not 5 3/4 inches as I believe the clearance is to be. You must be careful with inclines (driveways & parking lot entrances) and speed bumps.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
JNR is the winner, TexasElio. :) The body is half the width of a normal car, and even with a bit more height to it, it will probably be shorter than most sedans.

Since the front wheel base is wider than most vehicles, it will be very visible width-wise, if that makes sense.

There have been discussions in this forum about:
  • Reflectors being installed, either by Elio Motors or after-market by us, on the rear of the fenders to improve visibility of it esp. at night
  • Passing a semi on a 2-lane highway; instead of moving out to the left a little, you'll have to move your Elio out to the left a lot, to see around the big truck; might have to stay back from it farther too when looking to pass, and thus needing more space to pass it
My impression, after sitting in it, that it would indeed require more vigilance when going to pass, but it's, (and this of course is totally subjective), did not feel that far "out there". More important is dodo that might be sitting in the middle of the lane, cars usually swerve l or r when there is crap in/on the road, but if it's in the center, and they go over it, we will see it too late, and not be able to swerve away as it will require a total lane change. But this will be part of our learning curve driving this machine.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My impression, after sitting in it, that it would indeed require more vigilance when going to pass, but it's, (and this of course is totally subjective), did not feel that far "out there". More important is dodo that might be sitting in the middle of the lane, cars usually swerve l or r when there is crap in/on the road, but if it's in the center, and they go over it, we will see it too late, and not be able to swerve away as it will require a total lane change. But this will be part of our learning curve driving this machine.
You're not as crazy as it seems. Yes, just don't tailgate, even with a mundane 4-wheeler you don't have time to miss holes/debris if you are too close.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I have offered comparisons to my roadster Pontiac Solstice as it had similar dimensions and ground clearance was quite low. I did see a post on this MB (muffler, IIRC) showing the under carriage of Elio and what appeared to be a soft drink glass lying beneath the vehicle. That cup is not 5 3/4 inches as I believe the clearance is to be. You must be careful with inclines (driveways & parking lot entrances) and speed bumps.

For photographic reasons the P4 only has about 3.5" of ground clearance vs 5.75" for the final vehicle. I don't have any issues with my 1993 Honda Civic sedan scrapeing on things and its ride height is 5.25" inches.

By the way the Elio is actually 3" taller than my Civic and the Elio's wheelbase is only 1" shorter even if the overall length is about a foot shorter which is a good thing for safety and handling.

Last edited:

wjdom

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a fear of SPEED BUMPS, but I'm slowly getting over it. :)-

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I see what you did there..I learned to avoid them although where I used to live before Hurricane Ike destroyed my town home had several of them. Also when I purchased my first CAT (tunnel boat) I learned to drive differently. V bottom boats kick debris to one side or other but a CAT funnels it through the center tunnel..into the propeller. 2nd boat named 1BADBOY, I had to know the water 'cause at over 100 MPH you do not want anything to impact the prop but clean water.

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For photographic reasons the P4 only has about 3.5" of ground clearance vs 5.75" for the final vehicle. I don't have any issues with my 1993 Honda Civic sedan scraping on things and its ride height is 5.25" inches.

By the way the Elio is actually 3" taller than my Civic and the Elio's wheelbase is only 1" shorter even if the overall length is about a foot shorter which is a good thing for safety and handling.
Solstice also had an air dam that often scraped on inclines.. .shudder

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

doh3.gif

Jim

Top Bottom