• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will Your Elio Retain Its Resale Value?

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And I agree TOTALLY with you. We could be brothers, ross.

When my wife is at home, and I'm out, I let slip that mine is a train. I drive the train, and she rides in the caboose, and if she doesn't like where we are going, then she can get off at the next stop. . . . . . . . . . , but that's not really so. :)

I do love and respect my wife, ( boss ). She has ALWAYS allowed me to do whatever I want to do. . . . . . , just as long as I check with her first. :eek: Know what I mean?? :rolleyes: :p
Sometimes it's easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission!

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Kit cars aren't massed produced which typically reflects higher cost parts. Elio's business model is low, fair pricing based on a high demand, mass produced commuter with a pre-determined profit margin. That business model on which Elio is founded should not change because demand is greater than expected after the first couple years. The base price may lower because of super high demand and an ultra efficient Elio megafactory.......and world wide
marketing strategy........with Elio Stores in the UK.
Rick, I like your way of thinking, and Mr. Elio seems like a real nice guy, but- If demand outpaces production, the price will undoubtedly go up. Elio Motors is definitely a for-profit company. I would not be at all surprised to see the 2017 Elio price go way up if sales go through the roof. Purchasers of the original will decidedly have a good investment on their hands, especially if demand does outpace production, and the used value of a first-year model goes above the purchase price.
I really liked the Honda Element when it came out. There was so much demand the dealers were adding several thousand dollars extra. I balked and never bought one. They sold all they could get, anyway. And - the folks who bought one got a vehicle that really held it's value.
The uniqueness of the Elio, added to the economics of ownership, as well as operation, will drive a high-demand used market.
One thing more about used value- my 2005 Scion xB cost me $14,100 delivered June 30, 2004. The current value, with 142k miles, is around $6,000.
At a purchase price of $6800, the Elio can never lose as much value as I lost with my Scion.
Realistically, with the high gas mileage, it would be hard to say that it will cost you ANYTHING to own a 2016 Elio x3. 100,000 miles at 20 mpg = 5000 gallons...100,000 mile at 75 mpg = 1333 gallons. Savings..3667 gallons @ $3.00/gal. =$11,000.00.
I gotta stop now or I'm going to reserve a dozen more....

HeR3tic

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Smitty901...A AMC Pacer now that was an ugly car, Id say to myself as I drove up along side of one while seatd in my '72 AMC Gremlin. Now that 258cid engine was a brute...smiles.
I too hope the economy meltdown comes after my 9077 edition rolls off the line. While Im confident that the demand for the elio will certainly have grown stronger before then, Im not confident that the $ will be worth much at all. We can only hope to become much wiser by then.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You've obviously never met my wife!
upload_2014-10-27_8-18-17.jpeg

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Smitty901...A AMC Pacer now that was an ugly car, Id say to myself as I drove up along side of one while seatd in my '72 AMC Gremlin. Now that 258cid engine was a brute...smiles.
I too hope the economy meltdown comes after my 9077 edition rolls off the line. While Im confident that the demand for the elio will certainly have grown stronger before then, Im not confident that the $ will be worth much at all. We can only hope to become much wiser by then.
A Gremlin was a Hornet with the stinger pulled out.

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I today's economy $6800.00 is a throwaway price.
Who in their right mind would pay 3 or 4K for a used one when for around 7/8K you can get a new one with 3 year warranty.

Top Bottom