• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Windows

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul Elio stated in a video, that one of the options could be, if you wanted opening van like rear windows that should not be a problem for them to put in, the change of windows is low cost for Elio Motors...

I say yes, open those van windows let the wind flow through my Elio... I use to have my hair blowing in the wind when I rode...

No wait, it was tangled mess with the helmet and those damn bugs hit me in the face and damn it was hot with the helmet on...

I had to stop every 113 miles to fill up with gas, the seat sucked, and when it rained it felt like little needles hitting me, where ever I was not protected...

In other words... I really want my air conditioned, 670 miles before fill-ups, nice seat and not having to wear a rain/winter suit... NO Bugs... to eat... those grasshoppers took a week to clean out of my bike... it was a mess... sold the bike...

Just waiting for my Marshmallow with a Sour Green stripe Elio with van windows, and the special lighting option for my Elio, sound neat to have the medallion light up on the hood... and the step plate light up also..

How about you? are you getting Van windows??.

Proud to Be... an Elio owner... #2225 3rd quarter 2015

Moderator Comment: Merged into existing thread

Last edited by a moderator:

D.D.Bwana

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul Elio stated in a video, that one of the options could be, if you wanted opening van like rear windows that should not be a problem for them to put in, the change of windows is low cost for Elio Motors...

I say yes, open those van windows let the wind flow through my Elio... I use to have my hair blowing in the wind when I rode...

No wait, it was tangled mess with the helmet and those damn bugs hit me in the face and damn it was hot with the helmet on...

I had to stop every 113 miles to fill up with gas, the seat sucked, and when it rained it felt like little needles hitting me, where ever I was not protected...

In other words... I really want my air conditioned, 670 miles before fill-ups, nice seat and not having to wear a rain/winter suit... NO Bugs... to eat... those grasshoppers took a week to clean out of my bike... it was a mess... sold the bike...

Just waiting for my Marshmallow with a Sour Green stripe Elio with van windows, and the special lighting option for my Elio, sound neat to have the medallion light up on the hood... and the step plate light up also..

How about you? are you getting Van windows??.

Proud to Be... an Elio owner... #2225 3rd quarter 2015
But would they be electric van windows...

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Uh, I feel really dumb asking this (and google wasn't clear enough for me) but what are van windows?

IMG_4053.jpg

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
18.jpg

Lookking at Google images, it appears a lot of the old VW Bugs had them
Sitting in the back of the P4, I realized that the passenger has very little control over anything, and may often feel caged. Also if the air gets stale back there... anyway in that kind of situation my grandson will, well, upchuck. So I'd like to take him places with me, so yes, I really want those windows to open, but I don't need electrics etc.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Those "van windows" work very well to ventilate the cabin; low wind noise, little if any rain entry unless crawling along in a deluge, and great air circulation with the front windows open, but only those rear-opening windows are useful underway. Those that hinge from the top tend to admit almost as much water as air, so are useless in the rain. I have front-hinged windows in both vans and coupes and they are a fine, low-cost means of extracting air from the essentially "dead space" in the rear. They actually work better than conventional roll-down windows in ventilating the cabin because with the back windows extracting air, you are not being buffeted by air coming in the front windows - and trying to exit through the same space. Cracking a rear window or two gives that air someplace to go. As a bonus, your "furry kids" in the back can be cool and even sniff the breeze without getting the ram air effect up their noses and the consequent sneezing and drooling it produces.

While I've had a couple of times I wished for remote operation, particularly when riding solo, it's a relatively simple matter to pull over and open or close them as needed. If you keep a "weather eye" out, it's not a problem to anticipate a heavy rainstorm in your path. If you ride a bike, fly, sail, or even drive a convertible, you're already doing this - so there's not much of an excuse for getting caught in a heavy rain unawares.

Even with manually operated "van" windows in a coupe, it's easy to step outside and operate the cam-latch by reaching through an open front door or window to operate the latch. On the van, it's easier to open the tailgate and flip the catches open or closed from there since on a van those windows are often pretty long, and depending on your sleeve length, may be out of reach to all but those of us who are ape-armed.

These windows could be powered, but for the number of times you use them, it might not be worth the additional expense . . . or space . . . they would require. A third solution used by MoPar for many years was to operate those windows by a push-pull cable and levers on the back of the console. It's a thought.

Top Bottom