• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Windows

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just like my old VW bus :p

mssvts4.jpg

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some people report a low-frequency rumbling that you feel more than hear - depending on your hearing. It's an artifact of "closed chamber resonance", similar to the way a flute produces a musical note by blowing air across the opening at one end. Some manufacturers (I know Lexus is one) provide a "stop" in the automatic opening sequence that's about an inch and a half short of wide open. If the sliding roof is correctly programmed, one slightly prolonged touch on the "open" button will retract it to this position. If you hold the button down, you'll get full opening. This is nice at low speed or when parked, but a little punishing to the eardrums at speeds over 60mph. You'll need to adjust the sliding roof about an inch or two forward to stop the noise - or open a window.

About 4 or 5 months of the year in the Texas Tropics opening the moonroof fully is nice - but for at least one of those months it's raining. In nearly 20 years of use in various cars I never experienced a leak or any other problem - you just have to follow the manufacturer's maintenance guidelines. keep the mechanism lightly greased with a light application of lithium grease, and blow out the drain tubes periodically to keep them flowing.

Now traveling in the Pacific Northwest, the Blue Ridge country, or any number of scenic venues, a moonroof's really a nice option, and for a roadside snooze it's invaluable. I even perfected a technique for sticking my camera out of the open moonroof to shoot breathtaking vistas, even wildlife with whom I had no desire for a "close encounter" due to the fact they were better armed than I. But after installing an aftermarket moonroof and owning three cars with OEM moonroofs, I found most of the time they were useful in the tilted position - and particularly so during hot summer days in the parking lot where they allowed hot cabin air to escape without jeopardizing the security of the vehicle.

Do I want one? Well yes, but only if I can justify the cost. That threshold is pretty high because with a full-opening window at each shoulder, cutting a "porthole" in the roof would be of lesser benefit. Maybe that solar-powered vent would better answer my needs . . . . :cool:

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suspect that a 'modern electric' sun/moonroof would not work with the Elio's center support for the rollcage, unless it would retract 'outside' the vehicle. I am thinking more of the small 'tilting' sunroofs that have a 'vent' position, but can also be REMOVED. In that case, I would like to get one for over the Driver, AND also one for over the Rear Passenger. The 'vent' positions would allow the escape of HOT air buildup while parked in the sun, and they would also provide additional emergency EGRESS locations in case of an accident. The 'removable' sections could be stored in the trunk, or along the sides of the passenger seat.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suspect that a 'modern electric' sun/moonroof would not work with the Elio's center support for the rollcage, unless it would retract 'outside' the vehicle. I am thinking more of the small 'tilting' sunroofs that have a 'vent' position, but can also be REMOVED. In that case, I would like to get one for over the Driver, AND also one for over the Rear Passenger. The 'vent' positions would allow the escape of HOT air buildup while parked in the sun, and they would also provide additional emergency EGRESS locations in case of an accident. The 'removable' sections could be stored in the trunk, or along the sides of the passenger seat.

One of these popup vents should do the trick :D

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Here is a single piece, double window. Only problem with this and all the others is, where can you fined one that is only a half of a car wide?:(

sunroof-moonroof-installation-0015.jpg

Top Bottom