• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Would You Pay Full Price To Boot Up Production?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing that would stop me from supporting that type sort of fundraising effort is if the minimum amount to clear escrow isn't high enough to fully fund the production run. That would mean that they would need to call in 75-100% of the current reservations and I don't think that's feasible yet. Luckily, with the Reg A+ funding coming in, they don't need to play that card yet. Once the E-series proves out the design and the Elio meets the mileage and safety goals, I see PE rather easily being able to secure VC funding and drawing a substantial number of new reservations that will make the numbers work to get to production even without the ATVM loan.
Just an FYI

"............. they don't need to play that card yet........... "

Is not and has not ever been a card in the deck; so it's not even something to consider.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What if they did an "all-or-nothing" crowdfunding type of thing? Basically, EM would say, "We need $X to start production." Then reservation holders could agree to pay part or wholly for their Elio up-front. The money would be held in escrow until EM actually reached the goal: if they can't raise the full amount then everybody gets the money back, but if they reach the goal then the money all goes to EM and they begin production.

This is basically how all modern internet crowdfunding works.
Interesting idea. Would there be a way for those of us who don't have the full amount right now finance our purchase before production starts and get at least some money going EM's way?

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Coss, it is certainly in the deck in the sense that EM will ask reservation holders to pay in full before delivery. Whether that's an hour, a week or a month ahead hasn't been decided as far as I'm aware, hence being an option for funding. Of course they'd need to be right up to the point of starting production to make that workable.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paying full price ahead of time would be an option for me, as long as the purchase became a guarantee. I'd also expect "full purchasers" would be at the front of the line and in that order.

That would be problematic for those who've put money down, but didn't "buy up" with the full purchase price. That would mean someone could buy in now, and be in front of many People who've been waiting for Years now. IMO.

Sounds a little to cut throat for me. But, with the guarantee, I'd do it.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paying full price ahead of time would be an option for me, as long as the purchase became a guarantee. I'd also expect "full purchasers" would be at the front of the line and in that order.

That would be problematic for those who've put money down, but didn't "buy up" with the full purchase price. That would mean someone could buy in now, and be in front of many People who've been waiting for Years now. IMO.

Sounds a little to cut throat for me. But, with the guarantee, I'd do it.
I think if you throw-in an extra "T" shirt would make it happen :-)
it's fantasy thinking , to imagine a major "contribution" could be forth-coming from prospective owners.
The recent option to purchase stock was seen in rose colored glasses, to suggesting now folks put up 6.8k on the continuation of a dream ain't gonna happen
We represent too small a sample to make that determination With only 25% =+/- all-ins 1k and the % of want-ins (zero risk), reflects excess optimism. Hey, but sure is fun dreaming.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
".......their present gear crashes all the time...."
In the 16 accidents they have on record 14 were when the human operator took over the controls; 2 on their own is hardly "crashing all the time"
I think you misinterpreted his statement. (Well, one of us did, as I interpreted it differently than you.)

"yet people extend their trust of their beloved phones and video games to robots driving cars, refusing to notice that their presnent gear crashes all the time. "

I interpreted this as meaning "their beloved phones and video games" crash all the time. I.e., he's asserting that people mistakenly feel that because their cell phones and video games are so easy and reliable, that self-driving cars would be, too.

I have mixed feelings about the technology myself. I think that it will eventually happen. I'm not so sure that the technology is quite ready yet. Manufacturer's would definitely have to lock the systems up tight. Computers are too fragile to allow owner's to perform their own modifications to the driving systems. There's too much risk and liability involved.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No way would I pay in full for a car that no one has driven (no final pre-production models yet). With all of the numbers still simulated, nope. For all we know the E series prototypes will get 50 mpg, 0-60 in 12 seconds, and be drag limited to 80 MPH. Toll road speed limits around here are 80 MPH, so being able to comfortably hit 85-90 helps.

Until we know what she can really do, I will give them a little on good faith, but not that much.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No way would I pay in full for a car that no one has driven (no final pre-production models yet). With all of the numbers still simulated, nope. For all we know the E series prototypes will get 50 mpg, 0-60 in 12 seconds, and be drag limited to 80 MPH. Toll road speed limits around here are 80 MPH, so being able to comfortably hit 85-90 helps.

Until we know what she can really do, I will give them a little on good faith, but not that much.

You must have forgotten Texas SH130 which is 85 mph. And I10 west of Kerr county is 80 mph most of the way to El Paso.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Again, this would only really be a viable option once the production line is ready to push the go button. That means vehicle design is finalized and all of the performance numbers are set in sheet molded composite. I could definitely see EM requesting all-in reservations to start paying the remaining balance to fund the production for their own Elio at that point. If nothing else, they have to contact those with the first spots in line so that they can have the right color and transmission combinations for each and I see that as a good time to request payment.

Top Bottom