• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Crowdfunding

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like your argument, but at 70, 2019 a risky four years away -- by then I may be dead, incapacitated, or broke. Only in the first case would I not care about getting my Elio sooner!
I am not saying I like the situation, but realistically, it wont matter in the long run. I imagine if the Mustang had been delayed 3 years, would there be no Ford Mustang today? would it have flopped or not sold? probably not. From a business stand point, they don't really have anything to loose by keeping their cards close to the vest. Let's face it, we, as a group here are already sold on it, (preaching to the choir here), there is not much Elio could do to scare us off, sure they could delay til we are all gone due to old age, but again they already have our money @100% profit (actually more since nothing was made/sold) so at this point they don't need to pander to us much, we are already on-board.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When years go by, and there's no car, you HAVE to start sharing information or people just wander off or purposely walk away. Sharing info may be their inclination, but it's a necessary strategy at this point. And they're darn picky about which information they do share, and when they share it. For instance, we still do not know how much money they still need (after allowing $25 million for crowd funding, which seems a likely net) to reach production -- let alone how that money is budgeted and sourced. Investors really do want and need that information. Think of it as the investor's protecting themselves from having smoke blown up their orifices.

Moral: good, honest, ongoing, timely, and even slightly risky communications are any company's best bet, unless they're building A-bombs or biological warfare components -- not EM's problem.

PS -- given the timing of today's Forbes interview, with the suppliers' summit coming up next week I really doubt that we'll see any revelations via Forbes ... they'll wait til after the summit.
I think great companies do share information, I just don't think Elio Motors had figured out until very recently what type of information is too sensitive for them to share.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think great companies do share information, I just don't think Elio Motors had figured out until very recently what type of information is too sensitive for them to share.
I know it's gotta be tough at this point, Elio tried to be open about the process, but any delay or setback is seen as deception or outright lies, the adults in the room know how hard a project this size and scope can be. But people are funny, every little statement is now under the microscope and the slightest little hiccup is now seen or perceived as a disaster. I think Paul is finding out what it's like to be a politician.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I still find it quaint that anyone believes that creation of new things is a linear process. The activities which are more linear Elio Motors has as good a handle on as any company out there. EM's "mistake" has been in sharing too much information something other businesses don't
No mistake, but rather a well crafted marketing strategy to share information that made future Elio Owners seem part of the process specifically to generate funding through reservation deposits. It's the only reason for the 44,000 reservations.

Had EM stated the more realistic 2016-17 production schedule when they initially started taking reservations I doubt many would have put down a deposit on a concept that was 4-5 years out from production. The high number of reservations not only generates funding, but also serves as a marketing tool that gives EM credibility when seeking venture capital funding and or even the ATVM Loan.

EM is repeating that maketing strategy by testing the waters for Crowdfunding interest. It's all about grassroots marketing.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I disagree, let's say all 44,000 walk away from Elio, (they already have our money), and let's say the Elio comes out in 2019, millions WONT care, they will gust go buy one with no drama or worry... Sure 44,000+ will be very pissed off, but most customers will have no idea that this all happened before they purchased their vehicle.
Imagine 44,000 pissed reservationists on social media. Everybody in the universe would know.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Imagine 44,000 pissed reservationists on social media. Everybody in the universe would know.
Would it really matter to anyone if you could just go to the "store" and buy an Elio at that point? I don't think so.
Look we (Americans) buy Mitsubishi, VW, Mercedes and BMW's and we went to WAR with these country's/companies. In the long run people will totally forget and buy what they want/can afford.. So yea, I think they could piss us off and in 5 years suffer almost no negative affects, as long as it does come out and is reasonably priced.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
cf.png

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So, just after the interview in two hours, will the A+ funding accelerate? By how much ,what's your guess?
Actually, id say not at all, those who wanted in are in, I can't imagine this interview changing much. When they start hiring people for the plant, that's when people on the fence will be moved.

Top Bottom