• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Jeff Porter's Football Talk

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know we will talk about the Seahawks not running at the end.....which they should have, but you have to remember the lucky catch just before. I thought Brady was going to lose again due to a fluke catch.

Great interception. No knock on Wilson.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Come on, 1 yard, hand the ball to Marshawn Lynch, and let Beast Mode carry the defensive line into the end zone. and walk off the Lombardi Trophy. It was second and 1 with 2 time outs and 26 seconds left. Pete Carroll is going to regret this one for a long time.

Last edited:

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Take a look at this Wiki Bio on Bevell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Bevell
I have seen the 2014 Seahawks section modified 6 times since yesterday.
This morning it said that Bevell blamed Lockette for not trying hard enough.

I can understand Bevell's feelings, but I've seen and heard ESPN commentators review this play ad nauseum. The play was a rub route, the WR next to Lockette was supposed to run his defender into the guy that caught the interception.

Lockette's defender recognized the play as much as the guy who intercepted it, a testament to Bellichick (sp?) having his guys prepared. The other defender jammed his WR at the line, that gave an open path for the interceptor to jump the route, and he just beat Lockette to the ball. In my opinion, had nothing to do with Lockette's effort. All 22 players on the field for that play were giving all that they had.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Come on, 1 yard, hand the ball to Marshawn Lynch, and let Beast Mode carry the defensive line into the end zone. and walk off the Lombardi Trophy. It was second and 1 with 1 time out and 26 seconds left. Pete Carroll is going to regret this one for a long time.
That's what I thought, too. But, New England had their goal line defense in place (not as good pass protection) AND they had gotten to Lynch easy enough when the defensive line got a good push. Seattle didn't have time to swap out their offensive line so they were playing with a smaller, more mobile line. They were basically set up for a pass against a defense that was set up against the run. Running with Lynch, if he didn't get in, would have made getting another play off successfully quite difficult. They obviously made the call to run. Russel Wilson had the ability to audible to a run but chose not to. A foot more clearance and that would have been a touchdown catch. Sure, Lynch is almost unstoppable... almost... New England got him behind the line at least once and on THIS play, they KNEW the ball was going to him. He would have had a really tough time getting anywhere. Man, this "Monday night quarterback" thing is easy.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
the Hawks had 1 timeout left .... if they had of run Lynch he either would have scored or been stopped short .... if stopped short, they could have used that timeout so as to take their time and run whatever they felt was their best play .... also if stopped and they threw the ball with the same result, I don't believe there would be anywhere near as much controversy

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
the Hawks had 1 timeout left .... if they had of run Lynch he either would have scored or been stopped short .... if stopped short, they could have used that timeout so as to take their time and run whatever they felt was their best play .... also if stopped and they threw the ball with the same result, I don't believe there would be anywhere near as much controversy

Yep, agreed on your points. Also, Seattle chose to let the clock run down for at least 25 seconds before that pass play. And yes, it was a good idea to let the clock run down, because they didn't want to leave much time for Brady to bring the Pats back for a tying field goal attempt.

Here's a likely scenario: Seattle chooses to run the ball instead of throw on that play, and let's say NE stops them. Now it's 3rd down from the 1 or 2 yd line, Seattle stops the clock with their last timeout, there's around 20 seconds left. You can try a run play then, but that would pretty much be the last play of the game if they don't get it. Can you see it coming? People would then be saying "oh, you've run the ball on 1st and 2nd down, and didn't make it... why did they run again on 3rd down, knowing that if you don't make it there, the game's over??!!" lol It's what we humans do best.

It's a big chess match for the coaches: at any point in the game, maybe you're trying to look like a pass when you want to run on offense, trying to line up to stop the run then drop 7 into pass coverage on defense. For this particular play, it's 2nd and goal from the 1 yd line. Most football minds say the offense is going to run the ball. After that, it's a guessing game for the coaches.

Carroll and the Seahawks honestly thought the pass play called was a "waste" play... if a TD, great. If no TD, it's incomplete and the clock stops. They still have 1 timeout, maybe they caught NE looking to stop Lynch. It's really not that much of a stretch. It was just an amazing defensive play by the NE player.

Last edited:
Top Bottom