• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Looks Like We Did Get Laws Changed In Kansas

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wow! You made that look so simple, if only every state took the simple way to do this maybe just maybe North Carolina would follow suit. HOWEVER this is NC and it usually isn't simple here for anything but tax increases to happen. Congratulations on your success!
Have you tried calling or emailing your district State Senator regarding interest in sponsoring a Bill? You may be surprised by the positive reaction even in NC.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Status: Joel recommended the word "enclosed" be added to the autocycle definition. I hadn't thought it through, but if the Polaris Slingshot is an autocycle, it would not need a helmet on the occupants, and lawmakers would have a problem with that. I emailed the suggestion to my state representative.

I gave Joel my state rep's email addy, and vice versa. Joel called today the Kansas Chairman of Transportation already too.

The ball is rollin'. It's possible that it's out of my hands now. I'll follow it as best I can and we'll see what happens.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Status: Joel recommended the word "enclosed" be added to the autocycle definition. I hadn't thought it through, but if the Polaris Slingshot is an autocycle, it would not need a helmet on the occupants, and lawmakers would have a problem with that. I emailed the suggestion to my state representative.

I gave Joel my state rep's email addy, and vice versa. Joel called today the Kansas Chairman of Transportation already too.

The ball is rollin'. It's possible that it's out of my hands now. I'll follow it as best I can and we'll see what happens.
Good point from Joel. I should have thought of that. The enclosed part (or lack of it) is what Polaris is having issues with here in Texas.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I believe ours in it's final draft will read.......enclosed cabin vehicles that have a steering wheel and does not require the operator to straddle or sit astride it are mc edorsement exempt. Interesting that the AAMVA's Autocycle definition does not include the term enclosed.........only reference to seating.

I'm hoping for no reference to autocycle in our Bill leaving the Elio classified as a motorcycle for licensing and insurance purposes.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Great job, Jeff! You did good. I definitely agree about the Polaris Slingshot. We don't want a fiasco like they have in Arizona where someone tacked on a 3 wheeled bar vehicle and the bill failed because of it. I guess they don't allow line item vetoes. :-) Z

Jim Landry

Reaction score
Nice work Jeff! Sen Jim smith in nebraska is also sponsoring a bill. I just may have to send him this so he can see what our neighbors will be doing.

Here is Louisiana's definition of an "Autocycle" :

(a) "Autocycle" means a three-wheeled motorcycle on which the driver and all passengers ride in a completely enclosed seating area that is equipped with a roll cage, safety belts for all occupants, airbag protection, antilock brakes, and is designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals.

(b) For purposes of this Paragraph, "roll cage" shall mean a hardtop enclosure protecting occupants from the elements that will support the vehicle's
weight and is so designed as to protect the occupants when the vehicle is resting on this enclosure.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is Louisiana's definition of an "Autocycle" :

(a) "Autocycle" means a three-wheeled motorcycle on which the driver and all passengers ride in a completely enclosed seating area that is equipped with a roll cage, safety belts for all occupants, airbag protection, antilock brakes, and is designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals.

(b) For purposes of this Paragraph, "roll cage" shall mean a hardtop enclosure protecting occupants from the elements that will support the vehicle's
weight and is so designed as to protect the occupants when the vehicle is resting on this enclosure.
Welcome Jim!

Top Bottom