• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Looks Like We Did Get Laws Changed In Kansas

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
You changed your Avatar! Hello Mrs. Porter to be (now we know you are not marrying a guy) LOL referring to a long time ago when you mentioned fiancé and someone told you it's fiancée for a female. So........when is the big day?

LOL, too funny. Yes, it's clear, I'm marrying a woman WAY out of my league.

Yeah, who knew on the two e's thing? Fee-ahn-say-ay-ay. Big day is first Saturday in June. May have to dip into the Elio fund to help pay for the very small wedding. KIDDING! It's a joke. *ahem*

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is there a difference in the work they are doing between helmet laws and the motorcycle license? Do they go hand in hand, or is there a possibility even though you may not need a helmet, you'll need a MC license. I'm not even going to get into how the MC test are run. Also, wondering about age limits. Since one of the main reasons for the purchase is for commuting, and I'll be picking up my son after school, will he need a helmet in the back seat?

my understanding is that EM is working to create an Autocycle category for which a regular driver's license is needed and helmets aren't required .... hopefully that is where things are going in all 50 states .... how long it will take to get there is very much open to conjecture

Jim

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Is there a difference in the work they are doing between helmet laws and the motorcycle license? Do they go hand in hand, or is there a possibility even though you may not need a helmet, you'll need a MC license. I'm not even going to get into how the MC test are run. Also, wondering about age limits. Since one of the main reasons for the purchase is for commuting, and I'll be picking up my son after school, will he need a helmet in the back seat?

All good questions CT.

The laws for motorcycle helmet are different than the laws for motorcycle license. The estimates are that about half the states currently will require an Elio driver to have a motorcycle license. So excellent point, the laws do not go hand-in-hand.

The easy answer about age limits: it will depend on the state. If a state gets a special autocycle law passed, then no, your son would not need a helmet. Looking at the map, if you venture into a yellow state like OH with your son in the back, legally he would need a helmet. Realistically would a state trooper give you a warning or a ticket if he happened to pull you over for some other reason? Hopefully, just a warning.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know about any of the others but I do know from personal contact with him that Joel has been working with North Carolina Representative John Torbett in the process of having a bill drafted .... several folks from NC have volunteered to help as needed .... hopefully things will go smoothly

Jim
I believe I read on Facebook (I do not do FB normally, but can read only) that Joel was requesting interested members write their NC Reps but that was a week or two ago when I was looking for something else. It was most likely around the time of one of the two NC events when I was looking for detailed information for locaion. You might want to check that out. It would be in the comments section so it will take some serious searching. I don't know if there is an easy way to do that if you aren't a FB member. :-) Z

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
LOL, too funny. Yes, it's clear, I'm marrying a woman WAY out of my league.

Yeah, who knew on the two e's thing? Fee-ahn-say-ay-ay. Big day is first Saturday in June. May have to dip into the Elio fund to help pay for the very small wedding. KIDDING! It's a joke. *ahem*

Boy Jeff. You sure out kicked your coverage with that keeper! Only kidding. Congratulations to you both!:)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I believe I read on Facebook (I do not do FB normally, but can read only) that Joel was requesting interested members write their NC Reps but that was a week or two ago when I was looking for something else. It was most likely around the time of one of the two NC events when I was looking for detailed information for locaion. You might want to check that out. It would be in the comments section so it will take some serious searching. I don't know if there is an easy way to do that if you aren't a FB member. :) Z

you are correct in the facts but I don't know if they came from Facebook or not .... as noted in post on this forum (I won't try to find them, the search feature on this forum is
censored.gif
at best) .... a while back I contacted Joel Sheltrown, Vice-President of Governmental Affairs .... he gave me info on who to contact and I was happy to do so .... the info was passed and others have done so as well .... right now we are waiting on further instruction from Joel .... with it being the holiday season we don't expect to hear anything more until sometime next year

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Legally they separate issues however they can be addressed together by passing a single bill and the five helmet states are being heavily targeted.

Joel has a list of every state and what issues, if any, EM faces in each state. He is in fact working on the motorcycle endorsement issue as well.

By the time this vehicle enters production it is highly likely that both of these issues will be resolved in nearly every state. Any states left over will likely feel a bigger sense of urgency at that point as this will be a real issue instead of a theoretical issue.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Legally they separate issues however they can be addressed together by passing a single bill and the five helmet states are being heavily targeted.

Joel has a list of every state and what issues, if any, EM faces in each state. He is in fact working on the motorcycle endorsement issue as well.

By the time this vehicle enters production it is highly likely that both of these issues will be resolved in nearly every state. Any states left over will likely feel a bigger sense of urgency at that point as this will be a real issue instead of a theoretical issue.
As long as there are no more drunken bicycle riders clauses that muddle things up!

Top Bottom