• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycle Vs. Car

Malthorn

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Motorcycle Vs. Car
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThHqrvjl8JKVkjDpxVqkoUZ5sN_NPbBfdlXxEh3M7dYXu5I8C9SA.jpg

I would call this a draw.

I don't think that is motorcycle vs car. More like motorcycle and car mating.

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just because you pay motorcycle insurance does not mean you yourself are covered for No-Fault. You pay to protect other drivers in states like NY. You are not covered with No-Fault, just people you may injure when you are a motorcyclist.

I'm a physician, so I see this all the time.

If this stays classified as a motorcycle, all my initial enthusiasm will disappear.

It depends on the coverage you select. I have full coverage (comp & collision) on my bike, plus medical coverage for myself & passenger in addition to uninsured motorist coverage. The liability portion covers the other driver and their property if you're at fault. If you don't want to drop the coin for the extra coverages, you're SOL.
The only auto insurance coverage I've found similarly priced is the collector car coverage on my toys.

emt1581

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a little confused here. I read that some are saying that wheels are turning to change the laws...but what is actually changing?

Is it...

1. Elio is working to get their vehicle classified as a car and NOT a trike/bike?

2. Elio is working to get the helmet laws relaxed?

3. Elio is working to get classified as a motorcycle (for low insurance/standards/etc.) and at the same time relax the requirement for drivers and passengers to wear a helmet?

Or is it something different?...Maybe along the lines of a trike that doesn't need a helmet or motorcycle license?

The reason I ask is because if this is classified as a car that means higher insurance costs and safety standards which I'd think would mean a higher price-tag. If this is going to be a motorcycle it means lower insurance costs but then you need to look at helmet AND licensing laws which would seriously put a damper on the market by comparison to it being a car.

Again, I'm just trying to understand Elio's goal.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm a little confused here. I read that some are saying that wheels are turning to change the laws...but what is actually changing?

Is it...

1. Elio is working to get their vehicle classified as a car and NOT a trike/bike?

2. Elio is working to get the helmet laws relaxed?

3. Elio is working to get classified as a motorcycle (for low insurance/standards/etc.) and at the same time relax the requirement for drivers and passengers to wear a helmet?

Or is it something different?...Maybe along the lines of a trike that doesn't need a helmet or motorcycle license?

The reason I ask is because if this is classified as a car that means higher insurance costs and safety standards which I'd think would mean a higher price-tag. If this is going to be a motorcycle it means lower insurance costs but then you need to look at helmet AND licensing laws which would seriously put a damper on the market by comparison to it being a car.

Again, I'm just trying to understand Elio's goal.

Thanks

-Emt1581
I think I can clarify a little... not much, but a little. Federally, Elio wants to be classified as a motorcycle for now - eventually, an autocycle or other term that basically means "safe, not a motorcycle, but not required to have car crash, emissions, etc standards". At the State level, Elio wants to be a motorcycle in regards to emissions maybe but it will probably pass emissions anyway. They want to be considered different than a motorcycle so that helmets and motorcycle endorsements are not required. In most states, the helmet law either doesn't apply or has been changed to exclude enclosed cockpits with car type of controls including foot controls and steering wheel. They are also working to waive the motorcycle endorsement requirement and have had varying level of success... Arizona being the most recent example.

Now, it is only a matter of time before the Federal government either develops a class of vehicles that the Elio will fit into better than motorcycle in order to require crash worthiness and emissions. If Elio ever gets classified and certified as a car, they will be the auto manufacturer with the highest CAFE rating and may be able to sell credits to other auto manufacturers thus limiting the expense of the Elio. It will take several years before the Federal classification gets changed, I'll bet.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The federal and state rules are separate issues even if they are somewhat related.

At the federal level the Elio vehicle is classified as a motorcycle simply because the federal government says that any motorized vehicle with less than four wheels is a motorcycle. In a lot of ways this is to Elio's advantage as motorcycles have a lot fewer rules and regulation which keeps development costs on the Elio down as they do not have to prove to the federal government that they meet all those extra regulations. Insurance companies tend to base their premiums on the VIN which as this vehicle will have a federal motorcycle VIN means insurance companies will likely treat it as a motorcycle which tend to be less expensive to insure.

Helmet laws and motorcycle endorsement requirements are state issues and each state can set their own rules for these. Elio has a VP for Government Affairs, Joel Sheltrown, who spends most of his time working with state legislatures to get them to waive the helmet and motorcycle endorsement requirements for this class of vehicles. So far he has been most successful with helmet laws as I believe he is now down to only a handful of states that require everyone wear helmets in the Elio. There are more states that require a motorcycle endorsement and he is actively working with these states to get legislation passed to waive this requirement. So far the issue has not been with resistance to these laws as they have passed almost unanimously in most cases. The issue has been getting them prioritized to move out of the committees and onto the chamber floors for a vote or to get them through the process without having additional riders attached that may be controversial causing the legislation to be rejected.

One important detail I was able to get clarification on directly from Joel Sheltrown just this past week. If you are legally licensed to operate the Elio without a motorcycle endorsement in your home state then other states will also honor your license and you can drive in states that do require their residents to have the motorcycle endorsement. Drivers licenses are generally reciprocal that way states honor each others licensing rules. You are however still required to follow all local traffic laws and helmets are considered a subset of traffic law so you would have to wear them in any state that requires them.

silverfox

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Some states will classify as an autocycle as Michigan will.

Act 300 of 1949
257.25a “Autocycle” defined.

Sec. 25a. “Autocycle” means an enclosed motorcycle that is equipped with safety belts, rollbar,
windshield, wipers, steering wheel, and equipment otherwise required on a motorcycle, and which has not
more than 3 wheels in contact with the roadway at any 1 time.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I do not recall Elio ever having an objective of the lowest insurance rates. It's goals are an affordable, fuel efficient, safe vehicle. Let's get it built.

I don't know if it was an official goal however low insurance rates should just be a function of being an inexpensive car which is well designed with safety in mind including crumple zones, multiple airbags, and meeting the five star safety rating standard.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if it was an official goal however low insurance rates should just be a function of being an inexpensive car which is well designed with safety in mind including crumple zones, multiple airbags, and meeting the five star safety rating standard.
exactly. Not necessarily a goal, but a very nice by-product :)

Top Bottom