• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seat Belts

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Properly adjusted seat belts, which is most easily accomplished in passenger vehicles via the use of inertial retractors in seat belt reels, are an integral part of the passenger safety system. Contrary to commonly held belief vehicle air bags are not intended as a stand alone safety measure. Vehicle safety air bags are in fact specifically designed for use with seat belts which is why they are labeled as a supplemental restraint system or SRS. Failure to use and/or improper use of seat belts in vehicles equipped with SRS air bag systems can lead to more severe injuries caused by being out of proper position when the air bag(s) deploy.

Guess you don't ride on rough roads very often?
When the retractors start ratcheting down as you hit a couple bumps they defeat their own purpose.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Guess you don't ride on rough roads very often?
When the retractors start ratcheting down as you hit a couple bumps they defeat their own purpose.

I live down a gravel road so I definitely understand the issue however I also did have to point out that there is a good reason for using inertial retractors as they are indeed one important part of the entire passenger safety system. :)

Anyway, the issue varies greatly depending on the vehicle. There are several ways these system can be designed and not all of them suffer from the tightening issue.

Last edited:

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since it's nothing like a motorcycle and everything like a car, seatbelts will be required regardless of whether the gov'mint sees it as a motorcycle, autocycle, car, or a grapefruit.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm glad that we raised our children during a different era .... for us, my wife's closest relatives are a 16 hour drive and we've made that drive at least once a year for most of 40 years .... if a person strapped down a dog in the manner required for children for 16 hours I have no doubt charges of cruelty to animals would be raised .... as is usually the case, one size really doesn't fit all but one size is all we are allowed

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad that we raised our children during a different era .... for us, my wife's closest relatives are a 16 hour drive and we've made that drive at least once a year for most of 40 years .... if a person strapped down a dog in the manner required for children for 16 hours I have no doubt charges of cruelty to animals would be raised .... as is usually the case, one size really doesn't fit all but one size is all we are allowed

Regardless of anything else going on it is a known fact that being seated in one position for more than a few hours can be quite hazardous to your health. Bloods clots can easily form in legs and cause painful blood flow issues known as deep vein thrombosis or these clots can travel to the your brain, lungs, or heart which causes strokes, heart attacks, and pulmonary embolisms which are all potentially fatal. While there are some factors which may lead to increased risk this can and does happen regardless of age or physical condition which leads to the amusing stories of young, otherwise fit, men who die from a blood clot issue during a marathon video gaming session.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Regardless of anything else going on it is a known fact that being seated in one position for more than a few hours can be quite hazardous to your health. Bloods clots can easily form in legs and cause painful blood flow issues known as deep vein thrombosis or these clots can travel to the your brain, lungs, or heart which causes strokes, heart attacks, and pulmonary embolisms which are all potentially fatal. While there are some factors which may lead to increased risk this can and does happen regardless of age or physical condition which leads to the amusing stories of young, otherwise fit, men who die from a blood clot issue during a marathon video gaming session.

my cardiologist agrees

Top Bottom