• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seat Belts

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
By State laws, Officers should be buckled up. Some choose not too and there's issues with that. "If'" an Officer is involved in an accident and recieves injury, they only get coverage for half the cost of the medical bills. "If" they are the cause of the accident, the Dept.s insurance does not cover the other party(s) costs.
Usually when rolling up on an incident, Officers unbuckle just before arriving, as being restrained in place in some circumstances isn't a good idea.
Citizen's arrest! Citizen's arrest! Citizen's Arrest! Gomer Pyle flashback.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
By State laws, Officers should be buckled up. Some choose not too and there's issues with that. "If'" an Officer is involved in an accident and recieves injury, they only get coverage for half the cost of the medical bills. "If" they are the cause of the accident, the Dept.s insurance does not cover the other party(s) costs.
Usually when rolling up on an incident, Officers unbuckle just before arriving, as being restrained in place in some circumstances isn't a good idea.

I looked it up once and the issue is that "emergency vehicles" are a different class than "motor vehicles" so the seat belt law doesn't really apply.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I looked it up once and the issue is that "emergency vehicles" are a different class than "motor vehicles" so the seat belt law doesn't really apply.

I am sure it varies by state however I know that this is the law in GA as I noticed an exception for emergency vehicles when I looked up the seat belts laws in my state. GA also exempts all motorcycles from seat belt use which means that in GA wearing a seat belt in the Elio would not currently be required by law.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
NY State law specifically says “Seat belt use is not required in taxis or livery vehicles, emergency (Police, Ambulance, Fire vehicles etc) ,
1964 or older vehicles, or by passengers in buses .”

Safety doesn't apply to these vehicles ? Or just more impossible to summons ..

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm okay with the inertial retractors, but I'm not a big fan of the auto-retract belts in my Suby SVX. Never open your door to see where you're backing up to. Couldn't close the door to retract it because my head was there, couldn't reach the release button because it had my arm wrapped up too:eek:...scary, embarrassing and hilarious, all at the same time.

• It's not a question as to whether we wear them or not . The real question is does Elio have to provide them ? The vehicle will already have airbags as standard equipment . Can Elio save a few more bucks omitting belts ?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think I have to respond with the comment a VP in a company I worked for made.
"Those things which are verbally true may be factually inaccurate!"
They look at the rules in the larger states and comply with those.
Just like those awful gas containers with the CARB (California Air Resources Board) compliant pouring spouts that don't work worth a darn.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of crashes.... How long do you guys think it will be until the first customer totals their Elio? It's just a matter of time ^^. I say within the first 30 days of deliveries going out ^^....
the downside will be the negative publicity, like that two wheel transport (CRAFT) that the President fell off. (take notice-not naming him)

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If it's built with belts, they're required. Belts on a motorcycle would be ridiculous, on a skidding layover the last thing you want is to be somehow strapped down to that bike. The idea with no belts on a bike is that you're smart enough to wear all the proper gear and a helmet to optimize your surviveability in most cases.

Top Bottom