• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The transmission is ALWAYS the weak link. Vehicles designed to tow are ALWAYS designed with beefier transmissions.

Do you think EM will equip their lo-cost commuter car with more transmission needed than to keep it reliable for it's stated purpose?

So am I talking out of years of mechanical experience and applied logic? Yep
You are probably right. As inexpensive as it is, I don't see them putting in any stronger of a transmission than they have to. I wonder if maybe all transmissions can handle 2,000 pounds though. Even the weakest transmission available in the market today would have to be able to move a 2,000+ pound car, I would think. Maybe they had a weaker one designed vs. using a similar design available already. I am not poking at you, I really wonder the same thing about the tranny.

KN16

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are probably right. As inexpensive as it is, I don't see them putting in any stronger of a transmission than they have to. I wonder if maybe all transmissions can handle 2,000 pounds though. Even the weakest transmission available in the market today would have to be able to move a 2,000+ pound car, I would think. Maybe they had a weaker one designed vs. using a similar design available already. I am not poking at you, I really wonder the same thing about the tranny.
The weakest part of the trans will likely be the clutch. Perhaps and after market HD unit will be made

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
dscn0002-jpg.697.jpg

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
? the one they're stuffin it in or one that hooks on back?

In early February, the website announced reservations had reached 10,000. Six weeks later, the reservation total approached 13,000. The number of reservations by mid-April was more than 15,000
Deposits from $100 to $1,000 are accepted with different levels of “bang for your buck” if and when the Elio Motors’ three-wheeler becomes available. Refundable and non-refundable options are available.
Elio_Traveler.jpg
The three-wheel Elio Motors’ vehicle has an optional travel trailer
And some will use it. :p

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hay, this looks just like Rickb's post.
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/trailer-towing-elio-towing.334/page-22

Holy Crap! Now that's what I call a trailer option. We may actually need a factory tow package for that bad boy design.
Attached Files:
Wondering why Weekly Driver had the article before EM did on their news site or facebook..As you can see it's a drawing so could be bs,, After checking it looks like your right, Rickb and someone else had this posted..So old news..My bad !

Top Bottom