• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ding Ding Ding. We Have A Winner!
Popular-Mechanics-May-1972-Shadow-Harmon-Industries.png

paraelios

Reaction score
its nice to have it come equipped with wiring harness and mounting points as standard. It opens possibilities. I wonder how much the aftermarket cruise control will cost?

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I first saw towing associated with the Elio, I thought maybe it had a trailer hitch in the front to be towed by something larger! Some of the smaller brooms used in road construction have that; they just get towed behind the contractor's pickup to the job site and are then driven around the site under their own power.

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All I have to say is, WOW! Well, that's not really all...I just read all 28 pages non-stop!..(except for 2 "wee" breaks). It has been very entertaining. Most of the "replies" that I would have made, HAVE been made by Intelligent, thoughtful, and (sometimes) humorous people. You folks will notice a bunch of "likes" when you log on.
If there is one thing I have noticed (my personal impressions) about Paul Elio, Is that he is a "reasonable" man. Yes, he now has a board of directors, who may make some decisions that he wouldn't. But at this point in time, It would not be reasonable for EM to make any "hard and fast" claims until the product has been finalized and tested.
I also want to add that many of these aftermarket manufacturers do have/pay engineers to design their trailers. And the safer they make them, the lower THEIR "liability insurance" becomes.
I do, however, have a "homemade" trailer design in mind. :cool: I am also willing to accept responsibility for my own actions. ;)
Trailer towing:
This post hit home with me. The last line, for sure, 'I am also willing to accept responsibility for my own actions'.
Not many, today, will say that. Hook the chains up, have heard of some using ty-raps or plastic chains.
I have pulled a cargo trailer with a Wing and a Harley Dyna, a pop-up camper with the Wing.
With the Wing, I towed the cargo trailer from West Ga. to: Iron Horse Lodge X3, over the Cherahalha, from Tellico Plains to Robbinsvile, NC.to Iron Horse in the worst storm you could ever imagine, Pour n rain, lightning, low viz., Key West X2, Grand Canyon, down to Las Cruces, to Carlsbad Canyon and back home, 6K+ miles, numerous trips to a BB in Tn. , etc. Pulled the Time Out pop-up from Chatt. to Cartersville, Ga. in a blinding rain, down Hi-way 75, loaded down with gear and a visit to the PX. Set the cruise on 65, lit a smoke, sat back and let it go. Made it home Alive. 'If it don't kill you, it'll just make you Stronger'.

They do say, ' There are foolish riders and there are Old riders, but No Old/Foolish Riders'.

I give you this, I fully intend to tow with my Elio. After I go to La and get my Elio, I will learn to tow with it, first the cargo trailer, with bricks/sand bags around town, then with the Mini-Mate. I now plan to have my moment of 'Take This Job and Shove It' after I receive it. I have the cargo trailer now and will have the Mini-Mate by then.

Like Willie said, 'I'll be on the Road Again'.

BTW, if we get the go ahead for an Elio get to gether at 'The Iron Horse Lodge', next year, it's a Dry county, I learned the hard way, Late ride back to Andrews.
Now both my typing fingers are tired.
Hope I'm on this side of 'Verbosity'

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone, time to put on your thinking caps: Have you read facebook/eliomotors today?
Big news: IAV is the new tranny manufacturer...replacing AISIN, does that mean the smart AMT transmission?
EM says: Hey jerry, the P4 is what you are looking at, we DO NOT HAVE a P5.
Caddo commissioner Ken Epperson said the delay did not have any thing to due with EM. (think about that)
Every 3rd or 4th comment on facebook was elio motors, many times begging for money!
One person mentioned the start of production was January 2015, and EM did not bother to correct him.
Why do you think EM is still begging for money when they know they will never get enough from reservations to meet production cost.? Is the money ONLY going to the tour people and to ESG Engineering, paul elios other company?
This week, EM and paul elio is deciding and trying to figure out if the elio is a car, a motorcycle or a ????????????.
Many companies produce a vehicle, and then the second year make some changes, and then the third year, the product is complete. In 2012 EM could have had the Hyundai kappa 1.0 3 cylinder and tranny., or a Suzuki alto, and said this.
(BTW, This is what I would have done!)
"The first 50,000, 2012, elios will have the Hyundai kappa 1.0 engine (see the video by the way, I hope IAV has a video) while we develop our own motors. The price of the first 50,000 elios will be $14,995 and be built in michigan..We will be looking for a much larger plant in 2014.." Reserve now!
You have to have a PHd to get through this stuff....ah, that's piled higher and deeper of course..
my question to you is, would you buy a elio for $14,995 if you could have been driving it today.? What say you?

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
my question to you is, would you buy a elio for $14,995 if you could have been driving it today.? What say you?
No. The payments are out of my price range. You realize that's more than double the advertised price? If I have to choose between a $9000 used car that gets 32mpg or a $15000 new car that gets 84, I have to go with the used car. I realize that it's more expensive in the long run, but when you factor in the bankruptcy from not being able to keep up on a payment twice the size...maybe not!

Top Bottom