• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A receiver hitch option would be the most functional of all Elio options for those drivers buying the Elio as their only vehicle.........allowing a ball hitch for towing a small trailer or camper, cargo platform for carrying bulkier loads and camping gear, bike racks, etc.. It did sound hopeful early on.

I WILL fab my own! Along with a single wheel trailer.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
New guy here, Lexington, KY. I sure wish someone would hold a yardstick up to the rear and rear quarter for scaled pictures. It certainly would speed up my composite trailer design. Shooting for approx. 100 lbs empty. Not a P5, I know, but food for thought.

Patience is a virtue of all good men!
Welcome to the forum and I am confident that one of the friendly helpful forum members knows the answer and will respond. Using the forum search function will usually lead you to the answers to most of your questions. We have a lot of members who want to tow trailers so I know they will look forward to your posts. Thanks for joining the Elio transportation revolution.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
New guy here, Lexington, KY. I sure wish someone would hold a yardstick up to the rear and rear quarter for scaled pictures. It certainly would speed up my composite trailer design. Shooting for approx. 100 lbs empty. Not a P5, I know, but food for thought.

Yes, Welcome! I look forward to seeing the Ideas of others and sharing some of my own.

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum. I work in London, KY. I too am interested in putting a hitch on the Elio for a trailer I will make.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Heck, you could ask that measurement question on the Elio Facebook page and probably get an answer before morning.

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
According the Town Hall Forum thread this past week, a trailer hitch will not be an option at this time. I had it on my wish list but removed it after that announcement. :) Z

Hi Z,

When we talked to the marketing VP at the mall in Portland, about the trailer hitch, he did say you will be able to get a hitch, just not at the factory, you will just have to get it at a after market shop and have them install it... That is right before he talked about how the other motorcycles company's policy's are on having trailers on their bikes... Then in 2 years they would be working on the trailer hitch policy's for the new Elio's that will be coming out then...

So it sounds like they have plans in the working, they just want to ship out 500 thousand or so of Elio's before hand..

Then they will change everything again... sometime in about 2018?

With the Electric Elio, Propane Elio, and Hybrid Elio which he said was coming down the line in about 2 years after production starts...

He then stated that he believed that there was going to be a very large number of small after-market shops popping up all over the US, They would be willing to do any upgrades you wanted for the Fantastic Elio after-market upgrades sales... Paul Elio wants to help out small businesses across the US and this upgrade market is a small start... But still a start...

There will be up to, if not more than 250,000 new Elio's on the streets each year, someone has to make those new Elio's smile...

That is one of the best things about the Fantastic Elio... so many custom upgrades will be coming up for all the new owners...

I believe the blank Elio's you will be seeing on the roads, will be just rentals, The Real Elio owners will have them custom made for themselves... Marshmallow with Sour Apple stripes for example.... with a trailer hitch... and led lighting...

Proud to Be.. an Elio owner #2225

Last edited:

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score

Welcome :)

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe, maybe, with a trailer brake. Hard on the front brakes and the trailer pushing, could cause the tail to lift up off the ground just a little and cause a jack knife.
if a trailer is loaded properly, it's tong weight is 10 to 15% of its total weight. in the process of stopping a trailer, the weight above the axle causes the tong weight to increase slightly, which pushes down more on the hitch point. if u couldn't lift the elio rear wheel off the ground without a trailer attached, it is more unlikely u will with the trailer attached.

Top Bottom