• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Behind an RV flat tow vs trailer is really a matter of preference as from the drivers seat they will tow about the same. The third option is dolly towing however I doubt that would be recommended with the Elio due to the swingarm setup which is not designed to be stressed in that fashion.

The big advantage to flat tow is easier and much faster vehicle hookup and disconnect. You also don't have to maintain the trailer or worry about where to store it both at home and when on the road as many RV sites are not long enough for both a full length RV and a trailer long enough to accommodate an Elio.

The advantages to towing a trailer are potentially additional storage capabilities and backing up is much easier along with reduced wear on the vehicle.
if the front wheels are free to rotate without causing lubrication issues with the transaxle, a simple rear wheel cradle could be used, similar to the front wheel cradle used on motorcycles that allowed towing on the rear wheel. this would require the steering be locked to prevent the front wheels from wandering.

trock59

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What I have read you can pull the Elio on all three wheels, as I plan to pull one behind an RV.
do you have any pictures of the vehicle's front frame .... I'm trying to picture how to attach the fittings needed in order for it to be towed behind a motorhome

Jim
Just turn the Elio around and use the trailer hitch as a tow hitch - weld a coupler onto 2x2 stock and tow!

trock59

Elio Addict
Reaction score
while most anything is possible, I don't recall ever seeing a vehicle towed way .... I don't know if you would have to lock the steering

Jim
I flat towed a 73 Dodge Dart to Fla. and the steering wheel was unlocked until my backpack got stuck in the steering wheel - We were fine on the highway but those front tires were howling when I turned in the gas station! Now if you tow the Elio backwards then yes you would lock the steering.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Behind an RV flat tow vs trailer is really a matter of preference as from the drivers seat they will tow about the same. The third option is dolly towing however I doubt that would be recommended with the Elio due to the swingarm setup which is not designed to be stressed in that fashion.

The big advantage to flat tow is easier and much faster vehicle hookup and disconnect. You also don't have to maintain the trailer or worry about where to store it both at home and when on the road as many RV sites are not long enough for both a full length RV and a trailer long enough to accommodate an Elio.

The advantages to towing a trailer are potentially additional storage capabilities and backing up is much easier along with reduced wear on the vehicle.
I can't think of any reasons why an Elio could not be "dollied." (That doesn't mean there aren't) It would also eliminate cutting holes in the body, or after reaching your destination, driving around with a tow bar standing straight up in front. :( :eek:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Trock59--- Should be able to tow backward as long as the steering is locked and the rear wheel is held off the ground or removed.

that is possible .... some of the less mentioned issues with towing a vehicle backward are door seals, rear window seal, and design of rear of vehicle .... with no rear window that wouldn't be an issue with an Elio .... seals/doors aren't designed to withstand interstate + speed wind coming from back to front.... some leak when towed in reverse in rain .... no clue if that will apply to an Elio or not .... in addition fender wind panels and such are designed to take high speed wind from one direction .... here again, this may or may not apply to an Elio .... it will be interesting to see what develops

Jim

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Trock59--- Should be able to tow backward as long as the steering is locked and the rear wheel is held off the ground or removed.
that is possible .... some of the less mentioned issues with towing a vehicle backward are door seals, rear window seal, and design of rear of vehicle .... with no rear window that wouldn't be an issue with an Elio .... seals/doors aren't designed to withstand interstate + speed wind coming from front to back .... some leak when towed in reverse in rain .... no clue if that will apply to an Elio or not .... in addition fender wind panels and such are designed to take high speed wind from one direction .... here again, this may or may not apply to an Elio .... it will be interesting to see what developes
Jim

This will be interesting to see how well it works. I agree with Jim that flat towing the Elio backwards using frame mounted towing apparatus sounds possible but does have some potentially problematic drawbacks.

Some may want to try a backwards tow using some kind of single wheel dolly for the rear wheel however I would not recommend pulling the Elio using the rear wheel as that would place all the towing force on the swingarm mounts which are definitely not engineered with this kind of use in mind.

It sounds to me like the best ideas are your personal preference of either flat towing from the front or loading the Elio on a trailer.

Top Bottom