• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds to me like the best ideas are your personal preference of either flat towing from the front or loading the Elio on a trailer.

agree .... until real world use should prove otherwise, I wouldn't tow my Elio with the rear wheel forward .... I'd go with the manufacture recommendation

Jim

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget tow lighting. Taillight and brake light will be needed. Maybe not turn signals.

Magnetic lights won't stick to the ELIO body.

I haven't figured what to do about my CB antenna.
Bob,
Here is a possible work around for the lights, while flat towing, and antenna mount questions.

Lights: No portable lights needed
When you have the tow bar mounted, have the installer wire up a trailer plug, flat 4, on the front of the Elio, the same as you would on the rear for towing a trailer. I would use an isolator tho.

Antenna:
When you disconnect from the towing vehicle, lock the tow bar in the upright position and mount the antenna to that. Have the antenna wire permanently installed from the grill area (with a quick connect plug) to the cabin.

One, or both, might work.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
the only thing that would remain on the Elio would be two small plates that if painted black would blend in with the grill

Jim

this link http://www.amazon.com/Demco-9523041...410097739&sr=1-47&keywords=blue+ox+base+plate shows one base plate that could be used .... when not being towed, the only thing that would remain on the Elio would be the black base plates .... inside the grill one would have to fabricate a solid frame (probably box tube) connect the base plate to the Elio frame .... paint it all black and I think the whole thing will be almost invisible .... with the Elio being designed for towing, my hunch is one of the aftermarket companies will come up with a nicely done kit

Jim

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
this link http://www.amazon.com/Demco-9523041-Base-Plate-Adapter/dp/B003CQYCYO/ref=sr_1_47?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1410097739&sr=1-47&keywords=blue ox base plate shows one base plate that could be used .... when not being towed, the only thing that would remain on the Elio would be the black base plates .... inside the grill one would have to fabricate a solid frame (probably box tube) connect the base plate to the Elio frame .... paint it all black and I think the whole thing will be almost invisible .... with the Elio being designed for towing, my hunch is one of the aftermarket companies will come up with a nicely done kit

Jim
With all of the discussion about having to install base plates and modify the the grill............It seems to me 'reverse towing' the Elio looks to be the best option.............mounting the base plate/receiver hitch on Elio's rear end........which seems to be engineered as a solid mounting point. Flat Reverse Towing unless there is potential for damaging the drive train.........but I don't think it should be a problem. You could probably tow an Elio behind an Elio using that method. Obviously there would be no reason to reverse tow a 4 wheel vehicle, but a three wheeler seems like it may the best option.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This will be interesting to see how well it works. I agree with Jim that flat towing the Elio backwards using frame mounted towing apparatus sounds possible but does have some potentially problematic drawbacks.

Some may want to try a backwards tow using some kind of single wheel dolly for the rear wheel however I would not recommend pulling the Elio using the rear wheel as that would place all the towing force on the swingarm mounts which are definitely not engineered with this kind of use in mind..

With all of the discussion about having to install base plates and modify the the grill............It seems to me 'reverse towing' the Elio looks to be the best option.............

as noted, reverse towing might work but how it will impact the rear tire suspension and other concerns already expressed would prevent me from wanting to be the one to be the first to try it

Jim

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Folks, towing, really??????????
One of the main reasons for buying the car is for saving on gas.
The only time I want mine towed would be when it BREAKS DOWN.
If you plan on towing it why get it.

Top Bottom