• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget tow lighting. Taillight and brake light will be needed. Maybe not turn signals.

Magnetic lights won't stick to the ELIO body.

I haven't figured what to do about my CB antenna.
good point! with all that plastic panel body, there is really no good ground plane mounting location or use of magnetic mounts. too narrow for a cophase setup. i;m thinking the trailer hitch area might be a possibility. a bracket on either side up front where the a frame openings are may be an option, with a center load quater wave. anywere u can find a metal connection will do, even though it might not be the coolest looking location.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Folks, towing, really??????????
One of the main reasons for buying the car is for saving on gas.
The only time I want mine towed would be when it BREAKS DOWN.
If you plan on towing it why get it.

I 'think' some of the folks here plan on hauling it behind their RVs when they go on a vacation/roadtrip. Would be super handy to have once you've gotten to your destination.

CHUCK G.

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I agree. I have a custom built 6 1/2 x 14 ft. Aluminum trailer to pick up my Elio from the factory when it is ready if I wish or I will use it to take to pep boys if needed.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
With all of the discussion about having to install base plates and modify the the grill............It seems to me 'reverse towing' the Elio looks to be the best option.............mounting the base plate/receiver hitch on Elio's rear end........which seems to be engineered as a solid mounting point. Flat Reverse Towing unless there is potential for damaging the drive train.........but I don't think it should be a problem. You could probably tow an Elio behind an Elio using that method. Obviously there would be no reason to reverse tow a 4 wheel vehicle, but a three wheeler seems like it may the best option.

Actually this discussion is mostly speculation and planning for various contingencies and as such should be treated that way.

What we do know for a fact is that Elio Motors has repeatedly confirmed that they will include provisions for flat towing this vehicle as they consider the RV dinghy market to be very important as this type of vehicle would be perfect for that role. EM has also confirmed that both transmission options will be compatible with flat towing. We will just have to wait to see exactly what provisions EM provides as all this discussion could easily be rendered moot.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some members want to tow their Elio behind their big RVs so they can drive them at their destination. To each his own. :-) Z

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually this discussion is mostly speculation and planning for various contingencies and as such should be treated that way.

What we do know for a fact is that Elio Motors has repeatedly confirmed that they will include provisions for flat towing this vehicle as they consider the RV dinghy market to be very important as this type of vehicle would be perfect for that role. EM has also confirmed that both transmission options will be compatible with flat towing. We will just have to wait to see exactly what provisions EM provides as all this discussion could easily be rendered moot.
Much of the speculative discussion in many of the forums could be rendered moot. LOL I did find this statement from Elio regarding towing:
image.jpg

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Much of the speculative discussion in many of the forums could be rendered moot. LOL I did find this statement from Elio regarding towing:
View attachment 2525

LOL, You are very correct that most of what we entertain ourselves with on this forum is speculation however it does help to mention it sometimes before anyone decides to take things too seriously. :D

I apologize as I actually did not mean to single you out but just wanted to point that out in this thread however I did not make that very clear. :)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
LOL, You are very correct that most of what we entertain ourselves with on this forum is speculation however it does help to mention it sometimes before anyone decides to take things too seriously. :D

speculation is a good thing .... it creates conversations which stimulate thought .... throughout the comments in this thread it has been noted that Elio has stated their vehicle will be designed for flat towing .... theories expressed on how to do so have usually been accompanied with the proviso that we won't know until Elio announces what they recommend .... to me that's the way it should be .... now for a question : what is the probability that anchor points be installed as a standard feature ? .... if so, they will be designed and installed for use with a specific tow bar .... if they can make it work with reverse towing, my hope is the design will be such that it will facilitate both towing the Elio and towing with an Elio .. :)

Jim

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I apologize as I actually did not mean to single you out but just wanted to point that out in this thread however I did not make that very clear. :)
I didn't take it as being singled out.........so the apology is moot too. LOL You are correct about serious speculation getting out of control, but for the most part it has entertainment value while passing some time while we wait.

It sounds like EM is doing a little speculation of their own as far as how the Elio may be best be towed.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
speculation is a good thing .... it creates conversations which stimulate thought .... throughout the comments in this thread it has been noted that Elio has stated their vehicle will be designed for flat towing .... theories expressed on how to do so have usually been accompanied with the proviso that we won't know until Elio announces what they recommend .... to me that's the way it should be .... now for a question : what is the probability that anchor points be installed as a standard feature ? .... if so, they will be designed and installed for use with a specific tow bar .... if they can make it work with reverse towing, my hope is the design will be such that it will facilitate both towing the Elio and towing with an Elio .. :)

Jim
That was exactly my thought as well with utilizing a multi purpose receiver hitch/tow plate......to tow and be towed.

Top Bottom