• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html
ecocarrier1-jpg-w300h225-jpg.736.jpg

I spoke with this company and was told that they would look into the feasibility of engineering one for the Elio.

Looks pretty well done but a bit pricey, especially if the container is "bring your own".

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html
ecocarrier1-jpg-w300h225-jpg.736.jpg

I spoke with this company and was told that they would look into the feasibility of engineering one for the Elio.

That "looks" kind of like what I want...but "functionally" different. Here is why: Because the "Cruiserlift" stays in line with the tow vehicle, It would be like having a 6-foot-long trunk on the Elio. Which means, when you "turn left", all of the weight behind the rear wheel will be "thrown to the right" and magnified by the length from the rear wheel. The enertia could easily break traction causing severe oversteer!

I would have the rear wheel "tucked in" behind the carrier, not "under it." The carrier will also be closer to the ground. As the ground clearance on the Elio is to be (around) 5 1/2", I would keep the clearance on the trailer around 6"-8", keeping the "cg" low. Using a fixed "u-joint" at the hitch point will allow it to "articulate" while keeping it upright. :)

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That "looks" kind of like what I want...but "functionally" different. Here is why: Because the "Cruiserlift" stays in line with the tow vehicle, It would be like having a 6-foot-long trunk on the Elio. Which means, when you "turn left", all of the weight behind the rear wheel will be "thrown to the right" and magnified by the length from the rear wheel. The enertia could easily break traction causing severe oversteer!

I would have the rear wheel "tucked in" behind the carrier, not "under it." The carrier will also be closer to the ground. As the ground clearance on the Elio is to be (around) 5 1/2", I would keep the clearance on the trailer around 6"-8", keeping the "cg" low. Using a fixed "u-joint" at the hitch point will allow it to "articulate" while keeping it upright. :)

Exactly, IMHO, It must "articulate" to be of any use to us behind our Elio. Outsydthebox is on track with his assessment of the "Cruiserlift".
The clearance height would, I think, be set by the amount of lean required for any normal turn, much like a motorcycle. The fixed u-joint
would also allow for backing without disconnecting. If I can find it there is already a link here to the company who builds one on this design. If I remember correctly they were pretty pricey too. The keys to building one would be the fixed "universal" at the hitch and a rear wheel mount similar to the single swing arm on the Elio. Might not be too terribly difficult to fabricate either of these. :)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We use to tow a Piggybacker (http://www.PiggyBacker.com) trailer behind our 1800 Goldwing. I had it painted to match the bike but it tracked great behind the bike and didn't change our mileage at all.View attachment 3420

something like this makes sense to me, I've bookmarked it .... its pricing is reasonable .... in my mind, if it could be equipped with tires the same size as the Elio it would be a perfect fit

Geordie97

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
something like this makes sense to me, I've bookmarked it .... its pricing is reasonable .... in my mind, if it could be equipped with tires the same size as the Elio it would be a perfect fit
That would be nice if you could carry one spare tire that would fit either the trailer or the bike. If anyone orders one and wants to paint it to match, make sure you tell them (husband and wife run the company) so they don't clear coat the top. We put LED lights on ours, had the swivel hitch and put indoor/outdoor carpet and a light inside the carrier.

Top Bottom