• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Just in from Charlotte. Confirmed by the tour team by the EMOA: towing will void the warranty

Q) --- clarify the question about a trailer hitch: feasible? Will it somehow void the warranty?
A) Towing is not supported by Elio. Doing so without Elio having tested nor approved the vehicle for this would void the warranty. Jerome mentioned something about the legality of towing, but I don’t remember the details.

In Birmingham Jerome also mentioned some legal issues with towing along with the issues of the stability control system. As many of us had suspected may be likely the lawyers will kill official towing support in the Elio even if the technical issues can be overcome.

This just becomes like any motorcycle or small car where owners assume all risk in towing including damage to their own vehicle. There are plenty of hitches for sale and people tow all the time in those vehicles even if it is against the manufacturers instructions and I have no doubt plenty of Elio Owners will as well. :D

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This just becomes like any motorcycle or small car where owners assume all risk in towing including damage to their own vehicle. There are plenty of hitches for sale and people tow all the time in those vehicles even if it is against the manufacturers instructions and I have no doubt plenty of Elio Owners will as well. :D

agree .... I have no doubt that it won't be long before we read reports and see pictures from folks who modify their Elio to tow

Jim

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been doing some research on pull behind trailers for the Elio. I plan to retire in 5 years, 3 months, and 14 days (it's not like I'm looking forward to it or anything), and I plan on taking my wife and I on a tour of the country in the Elio. Obviously, we will need some sort of pull behind trailer to carry our things in as the meager cargo space behind the rear seat just isn't going to cut it for all of the stuff we will need to bring along for a long trip like this. There are plenty of trailers available, problem is, most of them are so expensive! Most are $2K-$3K or more, but I did happen to find this one:

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2015-Towblazer-My-Best-Buddy-112221783

I am trying to find out what company makes these trailers as I already have a car top carrier that looks exactly like the box mounted on top of this trailer. Why spend money for something I already have? It's light weight (less than 200 lbs), and I highly doubt we would ever have more than 100 lbs of stuff to take with us, so I would think the Elio would easily handle pulling a 300 lb trailer. Does anyone have any company info for the company that makes this trailer? I can't seem to find anything on them.

I don't really want to get into the liability or warranty issues that may be associated with towing a trailer. If doing so voids the warranty, then so be it, I will accept full responsibility. I know people who pull 300 lb trailers behind their motorcycles with no issues, so I'm sure the Elio would have no trouble towing one...

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
that is one interesting little trailer .... I've seen Torsion Axles used with good success on many campers .... I don't know that we will ever take our Elio on long trips, much will depend on the quality of the ride it delivers .... we will be following reports from folks pulling trailers and front those who use a roof mounted carrier

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Several of us have had the same idea with discussion spread throughout this thread. The least expensive option is Harbor Freight which has various size utility trailers for not a lot of money however there are other very small utility trailers which can be found if you look around as well.

I love the single wheel motorcycle trailers and other extra lightweight alternatives however those are way too much money for my expected trailer use. My plan is to instead buy or build something similar to this for the extra cargo capacity I need for weekend camping expeditions and extended trips when traveling with two people on board.

elio-trailer-jpg.2452.jpg

This one is available from harbor freight for about $370 and weighs about 145 lbs empty.
http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-78-inch-tag-along-trailer-66771.html

I know that between the extra weight and added aerodynamic drag pulling this type of trailer would hurt my fuel efficiency however I seriously doubt I would lose more than 25%. Even if my highway number was lowered to 'only' 60 MPG it would still be worth it as that is much better than anything else available while carrying the same load.

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
that is one interesting little trailer .... I've seen Torsion Axles used with good success on many campers .... I don't know that we will ever take our Elio on long trips, much will depend on the quality of the ride it delivers .... we will be following reports from folks pulling trailers and front those who use a roof mounted carrier

I could see a rooftop carrier as a viable option, however, it would have to be one made specifically for the Elio...it would have to fit the shape of the vehicle, and how would you attach it? I also think mounting a trailer hitch is going to be a major challenge. It too would have to be specifically made for the Elio, or you'd have to custom make one yourself...

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Several of us have had the same idea with discussion spread throughout this thread. The least expensive option is Harbor Freight which has various size utility trailers for not a lot of money however there are other very small utility trailers which can be found if you look around as well.

Nice find, and maybe even a better option than the one I posted...and this one is probably more readily available as well...

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I could see a rooftop carrier as a viable option, however, it would have to be one made specifically for the Elio...it would have to fit the shape of the vehicle, and how would you attach it? I also think mounting a trailer hitch is going to be a major challenge. It too would have to be specifically made for the Elio, or you'd have to custom make one yourself...

it has been consistently reported that an Elio will come built with provisions to handle a rooftop carrier .... my hope is EM will offer one as an approved option .... if so, we will probably go that route .... figuring out how to mount a hitch/receiver to an Elio will require pulling the rare tire skirt and doing some serious pondering .... I think it can be done and am looking forward to seeing what folks come up with

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did I not see printed somewhere that the payload (including people) is somewhere around 550 lbs? Shame to admit that My wife and I are approaching that limit for just us. I'm approaching 270, 280, 290. Ok maybe I'll be approaching 300 before this thing is over. My wive's is a secret.

I posed this question to Jerome Vassallo when I met him and his lovely wife and he buffed it off by saying that Paul was designing everything using conventional components as in any 2000 lb car or heavier. Paul, What do you say?
I'm not an engineer but seems tongue with weight is not mentioned here anywhere. Plus all swaying trailer problems will be placed on the one rear wheel not the 2 of a conventional vehicle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom