• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unless you work at a job where it's absolutely imperative that you get to work no matter what the weather is, I wouldn't let a blizzard or two determine what vehicle I buy. I've seen way too many people buy vehicles based on being able to get around in severe weather, or the need to tow something, only to regret their purchases later on because they only get weather once or twice a year that's severe enough to actually need that vehicle to get around in, or they only tow once or twice a year, then they're stuck with that vehicle year around when it isn't actually needed. More and more, I tend to stay off the roads until they've been plowed, then again, my job isn't one that's so crucial that I must go in regardless of weather conditions. There could also be those who live in rural areas where the roads may not get plowed out for several days after a storm. In this case I could see the need for something that does better in deep snow. I live in town and it's rare that our roads don't get plowed out within a day after a big snow storm, so there's no way I'm buying some gas hog that's good in the snow...for me such a vehicle would be a waste of gas 99% of the time...I have no problem staying home until the roads get plowed...

I'm with you Grampi,
IMHO, The Elio will pay for itself. Just a guess..."snow days" = maybe 35 days a year? (Up north) That is only 10% of the year. Why settle for "GOOD" mileage (25-30) when I could have "GREAT" mileage (50-80) for 90% 0f the year? Even if it was a "dollar for dollar" break even, we come out ahead. Because the Subaru's "life span" has been increased by NINE TIMES! :cool:

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've officially written off the Elio.. I plan on buying an all-wheel drive vehicle (probably Subaru Forester) in the spring.. Right now I have drifts 5'+ here and howling winds as this has been the winter from hell with 2 blizzards so far.. Elio doesn't make sense when I deal with weather like this only all wheel drive makes sense to me now.. That being said I will just forfeit my $100.00 all-in deposit besides I am not gonna wait forever as the Elio is vaporware for the foreseeable future.. Good luck I wish you all the best and hope the Elio is actually built someday to create American jobs if nothing else..

Ray
Take the bus instead. LOL images.jpg

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm with you Grampi,
IMHO, The Elio will pay for itself. Just a guess..."snow days" = maybe 35 days a year? (Up north) That is only 10% of the year. Why settle for "GOOD" mileage (25-30) when I could have "GREAT" mileage (50-80) for 90% 0f the year? Even if it was a "dollar for dollar" break even, we come out ahead. Because the Subaru's "life span" has been increased by NINE TIMES! :cool:
The Buffalo to Boston buss route. . LOL
images.jpg

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm a Subaru fan and don't forget one of the highest safety rated cars on the road. We have had Subaru's in the family for years. Everybody likes them.
Yes I have considered this as well.. Good point and another compelling reason to go this route..

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unless you work at a job where it's absolutely imperative that you get to work no matter what the weather is, I wouldn't let a blizzard or two determine what vehicle I buy. I've seen way too many people buy vehicles based on being able to get around in severe weather, or the need to tow something, only to regret their purchases later on because they only get weather once or twice a year that's severe enough to actually need that vehicle to get around in, or they only tow once or twice a year, then they're stuck with that vehicle year around when it isn't actually needed. More and more, I tend to stay off the roads until they've been plowed, then again, my job isn't one that's so crucial that I must go in regardless of weather conditions. There could also be those who live in rural areas where the roads may not get plowed out for several days after a storm. In this case I could see the need for something that does better in deep snow. I live in town and it's rare that our roads don't get plowed out within a day after a big snow storm, so there's no way I'm buying some gas hog that's good in the snow...for me such a vehicle would be a waste of gas 99% of the time...I have no problem staying home until the roads get plowed...
I wouldn't consider a Subaru a gas hog and I do live in the country.. I also take dirt roads to go fishing often in the warmer weather..

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Take the bus instead. LOL View attachment 4808
Still have to drive around 15 miles to take a bus.. My car now has 145,000 miles and i will not wait much longer plus I feel the Subaru will be safer and last longer.. At this rate Elio won't be around for years.. I am done waiting and I have wanted an all-wheel drive vehicle for a while.. Driving close to 50 miles in a snowstorm isn't fun in any vehicle but I feel AWD will help a lot..

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the weather gets really bad, my work will get canceled, but I generally am expected to be at work before the snow plow drivers have woken up and for some reason Denver drivers have no clue how to drive in the snow which makes my winter commute REALLY dangerous some mornings.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the weather gets really bad, my work will get canceled, but I generally am expected to be at work before the snow plow drivers have woken up and for some reason Denver drivers have no clue how to drive in the snow which makes my winter commute REALLY dangerous some mornings.
This has been the most snow I have ever seen..

Attachments

• IMG_0457.JPG
    IMG_0457.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0458.JPG
    IMG_0458.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0460.JPG
    IMG_0460.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 236

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm with you Grampi,
where are these pics taken?

Top Bottom