• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've officially written off the Elio.. I plan on buying an all-wheel drive vehicle (probably Subaru Forester) in the spring.. Right now I have drifts 5'+ here and howling winds as this has been the winter from hell with 2 blizzards so far.. Elio doesn't make sense when I deal with weather like this only all wheel drive makes sense to me now.. That being said I will just forfeit my $100.00 all-in deposit besides I am not gonna wait forever as the Elio is vaporware for the foreseeable future.. Good luck I wish you all the best and hope the Elio is actually built someday to create American jobs if nothing else..

Ray

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've officially written off the Elio.. I plan on buying an all-wheel drive vehicle (probably Subaru Forester) in the spring.. Right now I have drifts 5'+ here and howling winds as this has been the winter from hell with 2 blizzards so far.. Elio doesn't make sense when I deal with weather like this only all wheel drive makes sense to me now.. That being said I will just forfeit my $100.00 all-in deposit besides I am not gonna wait forever as the Elio is vaporware for the foreseeable future.. Good luck I wish you all the best and hope the Elio is actually built someday to create American jobs if nothing else..

Ray
Seems we have our first cabin fever victim. Come on back, raybonz. This is an either or type vehicle not a land cruiser. LOL

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Ray
I don't think you forfeit your deposit only if they build the Elio and you make the decision to not buy it or it officially turns to vaporware. I hope you are faced with that real decision and If you are maybe you will still buy one as an and vehicle to park alongside your new Subaru.....the best of both summer and winter driving options. Good luck out there!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did I not see printed somewhere that the payload (including people) is somewhere around 550 lbs? Shame to admit that My wife and I are approaching that limit for just us. I'm approaching 270, 280, 290. Ok maybe I'll be approaching 300 before this thing is over. My wive's is a secret.

I posed this question to Jerome Vassallo when I met him and his lovely wife and he buffed it off by saying that Paul was designing everything using conventional components as in any 2000 lb car or heavier. Paul, What do you say?
I'm not an engineer but seems tongue with weight is not mentioned here anywhere. Plus all swaying trailer problems will be placed on the one rear wheel not the 2 of a conventional vehicle.
If towing voids the 3 year warranty not many will risk the tow. By the way we can do the math. LOL

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think you forfeit your deposit only if they build the Elio and you make the decision to not buy it or it officially turns to vaporware. I hope you are faced with that real decision and If you are maybe you will still buy one as an and vehicle to park alongside your new Subaru.....the best of both summer and winter driving options. Good luck out there!
I have considered the either\or aspects and also the maintenance plus insurance and other costs and one vehicle makes more sense to me.. Besides Subaru's get decent mileage and can go most anywhere..

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If towing voids the 3 year warranty not many will risk the tow. By the way we can do the math. LOL

I will! I have never even owned a vehicle new enough to still have a warranty. ;) By the time my Elio rolls off the line, there will be probably 20k already on the road. It has also been said that all of the suspension/ powertrain components are taken from existing vehicles...in the 2000lbs range. I'm not concerned about the stresses of a trailer. :)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have considered the either\or aspects and also the maintenance plus insurance and other costs and one vehicle makes more sense to me.. Besides Subaru's get decent mileage and can go most anywhere..
I'm a Subaru fan and don't forget one of the highest safety rated cars on the road. We have had Subaru's in the family for years. Everybody likes them.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will! I have never even owned a vehicle new enough to still have a warranty. ;) By the time my Elio rolls off the line, there will be probably 20k already on the road. It has also been said that all of the suspension/ powertrain components are taken from existing vehicles...in the 2000lbs range. I'm not concerned about the stresses of a trailer. :)
I'm not concerned about the stresses of a light trailer either. The CanAm Spyder should be a comparable example of a reverse trike successfully towing, however, my concern would be somebody not engineering a proper hitch and installing it correctly and then of course the warranty issue should my Elio blow.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not sure how it's done but there must be a way to sell it. I remember G1 mentioning that if he could get a 50% discount on a reservation he would do it, and then again maybe it wasn't G1, and maybe I was just off my meds (again)

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Ray

Unless you work at a job where it's absolutely imperative that you get to work no matter what the weather is, I wouldn't let a blizzard or two determine what vehicle I buy. I've seen way too many people buy vehicles based on being able to get around in severe weather, or the need to tow something, only to regret their purchases later on because they only get weather once or twice a year that's severe enough to actually need that vehicle to get around in, or they only tow once or twice a year, then they're stuck with that vehicle year around when it isn't actually needed. More and more, I tend to stay off the roads until they've been plowed, then again, my job isn't one that's so crucial that I must go in regardless of weather conditions. There could also be those who live in rural areas where the roads may not get plowed out for several days after a storm. In this case I could see the need for something that does better in deep snow. I live in town and it's rare that our roads don't get plowed out within a day after a big snow storm, so there's no way I'm buying some gas hog that's good in the snow...for me such a vehicle would be a waste of gas 99% of the time...I have no problem staying home until the roads get plowed...

Top Bottom