• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
My plan is to build something like this as it will hold more than any rooftop carrier I could fit on the Elio yet still be somewhat aerodynamic, light, and small enough to towed easily by the Elio.

trailer1.jpg

trailer2.jpg

silverfox

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Hard points mentioned by elio were in reference to the elio being able to be towed, they indicated the elio could be towed flat. I never saw or heard from elio that it would have a trailer hitch. I have never seen a tow weight limit for any motorcycle, but people tow with them. Did the geo metro have a tow weight limit specified? I don't believe elio will set a specific tow weight limit, or even mention that you can tow with it for legal reasons, and the wear and tear on the engine and transmission. I don't think it will have a tow package, transmission cooler for the automatic transmission either. If anyone has differing information, please let me know. I will most likely put a trailer hitch on mine.

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hard points mentioned by elio were in reference to the elio being able to be towed, they indicated the elio could be towed flat. I never saw or heard from elio that it would have a trailer hitch. I have never seen a tow weight limit for any motorcycle, but people tow with them. Did the geo metro have a tow weight limit specified? I don't believe elio will set a specific tow weight limit, or even mention that you can tow with it for legal reasons, and the wear and tear on the engine and transmission. I don't think it will have a tow package, transmission cooler for the automatic transmission either. If anyone has differing information, please let me know. I will most likely put a trailer hitch on mine.
I think the legal ramifications will restrict towing for the Elio but after market is a different story.

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are we certain that when EM talks of hard points for trailer hitches that they aren't talking about hard points so that the Elio may be towed by an RV? As in, the hard points will be in the front, not the back....

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did We Lose The (orginal) Trailer Hitch? thread

It's like deja-vu, all over again.
Sorry about that Craig, Elio keeps changing the options on the board and I'm not sure if the AMT is standard now or option. And yep, I checked all 3 threads and couldn'd decide where to go. Almost ask for a moderator to move this one somewhere else...sooo Mods do your thing...Thanks...Wayne

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry about that Craig, Elio keeps changing the options on the board and I'm not sure if the AMT is standard now or option. And yep, I checked all 3 threads and couldn'd decide where to go. Almost ask for a moderator to move this one somewhere else...sooo Mods do your thing...Thanks...Wayne

It’s no big deal, it’s just the less threads there are, the easier it is for the new members to find a topic and learn the answer, saving the older members from answering the same questions over and over again. Plus it is easier for the mods.

Top Bottom