• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Try a 11,000 lb 5th wheel behind you. If I could manage that I'm fairly confident I can handle an Elio with 300 lbs trailer weight

A 11,000 lb 5th wheeler behind what?
In most cases the tractor is more important than the trailer and the trailer loading is a least as important overall as the weight of the tractor.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Try a 11,000 lb 5th wheel behind you. If I could manage that I'm fairly confident I can handle an Elio with 300 lbs trailer weight

That's what I'm saying...if a trailer can be safely towed behind a motorcycle (which it can), then it can certainly be done with an Elio...

As towing using a front wheel drive reverse trike is not likely something anyone here has done before there will most certainly be a bit of a learning curve as we discover the techniques, tricks, and limits of towing with this vehicle. However, safely towing a trailer with an Elio will definitely be possible. :)

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And if not a trailer, at least one could haul a luggage deck attached to a hitch.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/48-Basket-Style-Bumper-Cargo-Hitch-Carrier-with-a-500-lb.-Capacity/29389663

There's a couple of problems with this setup...first, whatever you carry on this will be exposed to the elements, and secondly, ALL of the weight of this device, and whatever you load into it will be placed on the hitch...a trailer, like the tag along trailer from Harbor Freight will keep your cargo out of the elements, and the only weight actually being supported by the hitch would be the tongue weight...

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
There's a couple of problems with this setup...first, whatever you carry on this will be exposed to the elements, and secondly, ALL of the weight of this device, and whatever you load into it will be placed on the hitch...a trailer, like the tag along trailer from Harbor Freight will keep your cargo out of the elements, and the only weight actually being supported by the hitch would be the tongue weight...

Thanks for pointing this out as minimizing tongue weight will indeed be an important consideration in this vehicle. Reverse trikes are known to be inherently sensitive to weight towards the single rear tire and weight behind this tire should be kept to a minimum or severe over-steer can be a problem. Adding to the rear weight issue is a phenomenon which happens when towing with any vehicle which is that as you apply more force to the rear end the front end becomes lighter and as the Elio is front wheel drive this affects both drive traction and steering capability.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ford F250 with a Banks system

OK, your F250 is basically the tractor. Your hitch is adjusted so the rear wheels on you truck have about the same load as the wheels on the trailer and the steering wheels on truck have about half to a third of the load that its rear wheels have and you probably have electric brakes on the trailer.
Basically, the trailer weight is distributed between the front and rear wheels of the F250.
The Elio with a tongue hitch would be a whole different story. How you load the trailer controls the weight on the single rear tire and the weight load on the front driving wheels.
Really big difference!

Top Bottom