• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

lnwlf40

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The swing arm will not be the place to locate a hitch... it will have to be mounted to the frame/cage.
Mounting (welding) to the underside of the frame on both sides, then extending outward (to the rear) through cut-outs in the tail body panel is what I was thinking of doing. But after seeing the diagram/picture of the Elio suppliers that illustrates where the muffler may be located, I am wondering if that will now work.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder how much of the storage space is taken up by the tent material. It would be awkward to cram in sleeping bags and have to fold the wet top down over everything in the morning dew or rain.

Are you not able to watch the video? It shows that most of that tub you see is actually available for storage. The storage area is under the bed platform while the tent and such fold down over the bed platform so they are separated. The video shows that it takes about a minute to set up or break down the tent which is very nice if you have to do it in the rain as happens sometimes.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not to worried about owing with it. Wife and I can pack for two weeks on the Touring bike without looking like the Beverly Hillbillies . We will do ok with the ELIO. Of course I have already seen it in a dream a motorcycle tank bag on T bag on the roof.

How about adding some binding posts for bungees. Better get back the pod lights as well so you can strap sleeping bags there. :)

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about adding some binding posts for bungees. Better get back the pod lights as well so you can strap sleeping bags there. :)
After many years of traveling on Motorcycles I found a better way. If you know how the system works you can stay at very nice motels for about the same price as most campgrounds end up costing when you cover all the other cost. Spent to many years sleeping on the ground I am going frist class now days.

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After many years of traveling on Motorcycles I found a better way. If you know how the system works you can stay at very nice motels for about the same price as most campgrounds end up costing when you cover all the other cost. Spent to many years sleeping on the ground I am going frist class now days.

Military retirees have access to all military installations. My plan is to stay at the nearest base TLF along the way. These quarters typically have as nice of amenities as any motel room (and usually better) at a fraction of the price. Why haul around a camper and pay cite fees when I can stay in a nice, climate controlled room for the same or less money? Plus then I'll get to see many military installations that I haven't been to before...

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Military retirees have access to all military installations. My plan is to stay at the nearest base TLF along the way. These quarters typically have as nice of amenities as any motel room (and usually better) at a fraction of the price. Why haul around a camper and pay cite fees when I can stay in a nice, climate controlled room for the same or less money? Plus then I'll get to see many military installations that I haven't been to before...
That option has kind of fallen off not what it once was. Current Administration has allowed others to make use of it pushing Retirees out.
Company I current work for and my position allows me to use their Corporate System anywhere in the world. The prices are amazing and they will even make reservation for me if I wish.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score

That would be what we refer to as credit card camping. I'm with you, after traveling all day in a saddle it is nice to have a soft bed and warm shower so that you can do it again the next day. It is also a great deal easier to rely on restaurants instead of packing food and cooking utensils and then having to cook and cleanup. It just eats away too much of the riding day. The one place this doesn't work well is going around the great lakes. There is very little other than wilderness on the queens highway between Sault Ste Marie and Thunderbay so the next time I go on the circle tour I expect I'll be packing camping gear.

But there was a time when bungee cords and rope held all kinds of things on my bikes including some sleeping rolls under the headlight. I don't think the roll under the headlight worked all that well but after seeing easy rider you have to try it. I prefer bikes without a lot of stuff on them. I don't own the bike in my picture but I try the big cruisers every now and then and so far I keep deciding I'm not old enough for them yet. I do have metal bags on my enfield that I use as a parts runner and bolt on saddlebags for the kingpin when I tour with it but I still end up bungee netting a lot of my gear when I can't convince the wife to carry my gear in her bags :)

So, ok, as for the elio, I doubt I'll be tieing my bedroll under pod lights much less bungee cording anything else on the outside and I will definitely be carrying my credit card.

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That option has kind of fallen off not what it once was. Current Administration has allowed others to make use of it pushing Retirees out.
Company I current work for and my position allows me to use their Corporate System anywhere in the world. The prices are amazing and they will even make reservation for me if I wish.

I don't know how or where you've experienced a "pushing out" of military retirees from TLFs, but the only time I've ever had any problems getting a room is when there is some sort of special event going on in the local area and all the rooms are booked...normally I have had no problems getting a room, and if you make reservations ahead of time, you can usually reserve a room during the busy events too....

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
An added bonus... safety. Your Elio will be less likely to be messed with while on base.

Top Bottom