• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, your F250 is basically the tractor. Your hitch is adjusted so the rear wheels on you truck have about the same load as the wheels on the trailer and the steering wheels on truck have about half to a third of the load that its rear wheels have and you probably have electric brakes on the trailer.
Basically, the trailer weight is distributed between the front and rear wheels of the F250.
The Elio with a tongue hitch would be a whole different story. How you load the trailer controls the weight on the single rear tire and the weight load on the front driving wheels.
Really big difference!

A trailer with a total weight of 300 lbs (including cargo) isn't going to put much weight on the hitch no matter how it's loaded...

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I still think this'll be my home away from home, once I get my Elio.

http://www.litetentcamper.com/trailer.htm

These are nice also. They are a bit smaller but also a good bit less expensive

a5a224_cbe3e02bc68cd34e0cffaa784cb3b758.jpg

http://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/

Z wanted one of these and I am tempted to buy one and use it for her. :)

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, your F250 is basically the tractor. Your hitch is adjusted so the rear wheels on you truck have about the same load as the wheels on the trailer and the steering wheels on truck have about half to a third of the load that its rear wheels have and you probably have electric brakes on the trailer.
Basically, the trailer weight is distributed between the front and rear wheels of the F250.
The Elio with a tongue hitch would be a whole different story. How you load the trailer controls the weight on the single rear tire and the weight load on the front driving wheels.
Really big difference!
I have towed trailers and boats most of my life and certainly understand how to load a trailer. I don't see towing with the Elio to be a problem.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have towed trailers and boats most of my life and certainly understand how to load a trailer. I don't see towing with the Elio to be a problem.

I'm sure you have the experience you say you do.
And then I saw this post.............

And if not a trailer, at least one could haul a luggage deck attached to a hitch.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/48-Basket...itch-Carrier-with-a-500-lb.-Capacity/29389663

Picture that on the back of an Elio. 45 lbs plus whatever is on it all acting as tongue weight.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
These are nice also. They are a bit smaller but also a good bit less expensive

a5a224_cbe3e02bc68cd34e0cffaa784cb3b758.jpg

http://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/

Z wanted one of these and I am tempted to buy one and use it for her. :)
I wonder how much of the storage space is taken up by the tent material. It would be awkward to cram in sleeping bags and have to fold the wet top down over everything in the morning dew or rain.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure you have the experience you say you do.
And then I saw this post.............

Picture that on the back of an Elio. 45 lbs plus whatever is on it all acting as tongue weight.
Not to mention that on a regular car, the bumper ride is smoothed by the suspension. It is highly likely that the only attach point on the rear of the Elio that we can get to is that swingarm which will bounce hard with any bump you hit. Unless you can tie in to the hoop above the tire and thus take advantage of the Elio suspension, I'm afraid trailer towing would be pretty rough.

cortsdad2

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not to mention that on a regular car, the bumper ride is smoothed by the suspension. It is highly likely that the only attach point on the rear of the Elio that we can get to is that swingarm which will bounce hard with any bump you hit. Unless you can tie in to the hoop above the tire and thus take advantage of the Elio suspension, I'm afraid trailer towing would be pretty rough.
The swing arm will not be the place to locate a hitch... it will have to be mounted to the frame/cage.

Top Bottom