• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Did 84 Mpg Come From?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
It would have the effect of making people delay tire replacements, resulting in an increase in accidents, injuries, and death over time. Perhaps tires aren't something to impose road taxes on.

Apply the road tax to motor oil instead of gas. While people could stretch out the time between oil changes they would only be hurting their own engines by doing so which of course the automakers would not mind.

Double D in Ohio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
you know more than me about mpg abilities but I felt sure that the 84mpg was approachable from the little work i've done with fluid mechanics. being much less wide(and in no small part considerably shorter) allows the air to get around the vehicle exponentially easier. it isn't a factor of half the square footage at the front of the vehicle reduces that aspect of mpg consideration by half, it in all liklihood reduces it by a much greater factor. I've only dealt with fluid in an enclosed pipe, but I imagine that when you start trying to push four times the air around twice the outer edge(which is what being twice as big does, roughly) then all sorts of air turbulence speeds and volumes increase the drag exponentially. And that is why i felt like at least the Elio can do 70+mpg with the current design. I could be very wrong as I base what I think on like I have stated fluids moving through a confined space, but there are many similarities.

Just FYI it is not considerably shorter. On the FB page they show the Elio setting next to a 4dr Lexus Sedan.....they are the same length. The tear drop shape helps and 1/2 the width helps. No , I'm not an engineer just passing along what I saw on the Elio FB site. Double D.

Double D in Ohio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't intend to get into a flame war with you guys, if you don't believe what I tell you I won't bother anymore.

Phil: I'm 56 I heard the same 100mpg carb story when I was young...gas was .29 9/10 a gallon. Yep 100 mpg would have cut revenues for the oil producers and the Federal Gov, and we all know the Fed Gov wouldn't lie to" WE THE PEOPLE." If we get rid of this shaky economy maybe we can get our Elios. Double D.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just FYI it is not considerably shorter. On the FB page they show the Elio setting next to a 4dr Lexus Sedan.....they are the same length. The tear drop shape helps and 1/2 the width helps. No , I'm not an engineer just passing along what I saw on the Elio FB site. Double D.
Close to the same wheel base and height as a BMW 3 Series.

PhilGoings

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I fine it very difficult to understand why anyone would reply or share information in these threads. It seems if you post something folks spend more time trying to discredit your answer or source than offering a counterpoint. Oh well what can you expect when no official news if forthcoming, all that left is to argue. It is sad but it is human nature. Although I have over thirty years in the Auto Industry you folks seem not to need my insights on questions, I have not made up my mind yet if I will continue using the forums.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I fine it very difficult to understand why anyone would reply or share information in these threads. It seems if you post something folks spend more time trying to discredit your answer or source than offering a counterpoint. Oh well what can you expect when no official news if forthcoming, all that left is to argue. It is sad but it is human nature. Although I have over thirty years in the Auto Industry you folks seem not to need my insights on questions, I have not made up my mind yet if I will continue using the forums.
And so what makes 84 mpg magical Phil

Marine 7

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hang in there Phil I enjoy your input on the Elio. I get a lot of good info from your post. I was also was in the
auto Industry for 30yrs was at the Shreveport plant many times. Keep the good info coming.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's 3 times the average commuter car fuel economy rating, that's all. Paul Elio wanted his car to get triple the average mileage.
But why is that important? There is a very profound reason for this and it has nothing to do with fuel economy or aerodynamics. It has everything to do with marketing a product to the American public. It is what directly ties three of the four must have together.

One of those three has nothing to do with the thread topic here and that is safety, but still important. Americans drive large SUV's, trucks and cars because they give us a since of safety. That is why the five star safety rating is so important.

Back to our thread topic though. Why is 84 mpg so important? This is tied directly to the $6,800 price tag. By achieving 84mpg a commuter can literally use the savings in fuel to purchase the car. Paul wants to make it undeniably obvious that it would be ignorant to NOT purchase his product. You can still own your large suv, truck or car and buy this car with no additional out of pocket cost. It is like Elio Motors is giving you a free car. WHAT?! A FREE CAR?! That's why I made my deposit. If someone is going to offer me a free car, I'm not going to turn them down. That is what Paul Elio has done. I can do what I do now and pay $200-$220 a month in gas or I can pay $180-$200 a month for a car payment and gas, keep my existing cars and own/ drive a brand new car. How could you say no? I'm netting a $20 profit every month and it only gets better the sooner I pay it off. NO BRAINER! That's why 84mpg is so important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom